Is my tranny dying? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So to the best of my knowledge, the tranny runs fine. The truck accelerates well, there shifts are smooth, and there is an instant increase of speed when I press the pedal, so it's not slipping I guess. But...

When I shift from D to R it takes almost 2 seconds. The same from R to D. Pressing the pedal doesn't help either as it just revvs for 2 seconds before shifting.

Other than that, there are no problems and I really like to press hard on it sometimes. I would never notice that problem but I took a ride in my friend's '97.

Should I worry?
How can I help my tranny?
What can I do?

mine does the same thing, although it only takes forever when switching into reverse, not out of it. Pretty common problem for the early a343 transmissions as i understand it.

In my past experience when i have had trannies do this it has normally meant the pump is going bad. Not sure about lc trannies though. My tranny sometimes slips or shutters (bad vibrations) when i put it in reverse but not hesitates. I have had lots of auto tranny problems in the past most american made vehicles that had the pump problem ---I'm sure thats not what you want to hear.

Get your hands on an FSM and look at the troubleshooting tests/diagnostics. If there is a section similar to that for the A440F in the FJ 62, you should be able to narrow down the problem based on the delay in shifting into D from P, R from P, and if need be, by checking the line pressure as the truck runs through the gears. If you haven't already, make sure you kick down cable is properly adjusted (or do these trannies go by electric signal for throttle?).

If it turns out to be something a valve body swap would fix, you may want to look into the units that Wholesale Automatics in Australia offers. I know for the A440F they are supposed to be a great upgrade (I'll know more in a month ;)), not sure if similar benefits are there for the A442F and A343F........ They are distributed in NA through Pacesetter Products out of Whitehorse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom