Is my temp gauge working? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched but didn't find anything that applied. Over the past week my temp needle has been sitting lower than it used to. This is the highest it gets:
temp.jpg

What's the best way to figure out whether it's actually running cool or the gauge is wrong? I don't have an IR temp sensor but I might be able to borrow one from somebody.

HF sells those guns for around $29 or so.

In the meantime you could check your heater temperature after it 'should' be warmed up. If it blows cold while it should be warm, likely you have t-stat issues and that your temp gauge is fine.

John

My temp. gauge was like that after a year of owning it and found out the thermostat was upside down and missing a gasket, i replaced the thermostat and necessary gasket and gauge was reading just a lil past half after and the temp.out of the vents were around 130*.

The air out of the vents is warm but not overly so. For a half hour drive in the winter I usually don't take it off of max heat /max fan. Will the temp gauge be able to get an accurate reading off of the t-stat or should I try the block?

mechanical gauge. the oem gauges are simply there to make the driver feel good about themselves.
At some point I will do that and a real oil pressure gauge. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with it right now.

Reread post #3. Sounds as if you have a t-stat issue.

Replace with new OEM and be sure to install the top gasket also and you should be good. Will give you good HOT air and your temp gauge will register correctly also.

John

What is ambient temp outside? Could be something wrong with t-stat could be nothing... More than likely the t-stat is stuck open and thus the truck really isnt getting up to operating temp. if you have never replaced the t-stat or dont know that it ever has been now would be a good time with BOTH gaskets.

if you don't know when the thermostat and related gaskets were ever changed.....swap that out...great first start. 2nd...no I think the guage should not reflect that position on a normal fully warmed up temp.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. The t-stat hasn't been touched since 1983 so I think I'll just go ahead and replace it. While I'm there I think I'll replace the hose going from the t-stat to the water pump. Does anyone know the part # for this, or is it something standard that I could find at an auto parts store?

local parts store might carry it...."might". You might want to order some hoses...from like rock auto web site if you know what you need. Or from toyota parts guys like user name Beno.... to get toyota stuff. Many parts stores don't have a clue about FJ60 stuff....so its a gamble at times if you get the right part or not. One thing to note....if one hose looks bad...it likely others are in similar condition.

mechanical gauge. the oem gauges are simply there to make the driver feel good about themselves.

I think the temp guage works just fine. For me, when it read low, it was low (thermostat issue). And when it has read hot, it was hot. Don't know what else I could want.

Is there a reason to go OEM vs aftermarket thermostat?

Never mind. I just looked up the price and for under $40 I don't see a reason not to go new OEM.
Carry on!

Yeah most OEM parts, especially with Onur's MUD discount are comparable to the aftermarket prices. Check with him first before buying anything. Few hoses that are connected to the t-stat housing are well worth it to replace NOW while you have it apart.

So did the thermostat and related parts fix your problem, RandomDan? Reason I'm asking is because my gauge has read the same since I bought the truck 2 years ago. I've replaced the T-stat (it was aftermarket, didn't realize at the time the factory was so cheap) along with both gaskets and my gauge is still reading at least as low as yours was. Most of the time it doesn't hardly move above the "c" mark. I have decent heat from both front and rear units and all my hoses are hot. I just want it at normal operating temp and I've done what I can think of to rectify the issue, but to no avail. Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be highly appreciated right now. Thanks fellas...

I agree with all of the thermostat advice. Another issue I have noticed is that if you have a leaky radiator or bad radiator cap, and the system does not fully pressurize, the gauge will tend to read low. I am not completely sure why that is but on two different 60's I own my gauge was reading about where yours is with leaky radiators. Once I replaced them, the gauges read at just below half once fully warmed up.

I'm pretty sure it's installed right side up, with the regular paper gasket for the housing and the rubber "ring" gasket sitting on top of the T-stat. Unless I didn't install the rubber "ring" correctly. I just set it on top of the T-stat and set the housing on top of it. I bled the system and I have good heat from both front a rear units, just the gauge isn't correct. I've already replaced the leaky cap earlier in the year and I see no other signs of coolant leaks anywhere else. I'm just kind of at a loss. I'll check the temp on the hoses, but by feel, all of them feel like it should be fine. Who knows...

As others have said, the stock temp gauge is pretty much worthless, particularly after 30 years. The problem is in the fuel gauge, and the way the signal is sent to the temp gauge.

Easy and cheap and far more likely to prevent over-heating, is to install a Mechanical gauge. There are write ups. Even a cheap Sun Pro gauge from Autozone is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom