Is my speedometer cable broken? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi mudders,

1989 FJ62 with approx 313,XXX miles.

I’m posting to see if anyone can confirm a hunch that my speedometer cable is broken. My speedometer and odometer are no longer working. I removed the instrument cluster face to see that the cable appears to be connected and is not loose or wiggly.

I went under the car and found where the speedometer cable connects to the transfer case. I undid the 12mm bolt and when I unscrewed the cable, these two items popped out (literally) as well as maybe 1/4c. oil. Can anyone confirm if this is transmission fluid? If so, I’ll need to top off AND be vigilant about cleanliness down there. In my limited experience with other vehicles, not even lint can make its way into the tranny fluid system without disastrous consequences.

Please see attached pics and let me know what you think. I don’t know if the gear assembly is supposed to fall out so easily. This will be my first time tacking this job. I found a very helpful thread here already but needed confirmation before ordering a cable. I’m pretty strapped financially at the moment.

Helpful thread here: Speedometer and Odometer stopped working - 1989 FJ62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/speedometer-and-odometer-stopped-working-1989-fj62.1201260/
If I did choose to delay this job, could I just reattach the broken cable, keep the gear assembly out of the vehicle, and top off whatever fluid came out, delaying installation until I can afford a new cable? The teeth on the gears look pretty good. If they are, I might still want to replace the o-ring - does anyone have that specific part number?

Thanks everyone for your help.

180AEF44-A7F0-4515-BA47-79BA59CF6D3C.jpeg

650FF23C-80C6-40A4-942E-44AC6119284D.jpeg

B38DF484-88AB-4112-8ABD-7C70FAF174B7.jpeg

4F4F4321-2697-41EA-9A2F-F711A23AAD97.jpeg

Well, after using my brain and closer examination of the pictures I think I answered my first question. Yes, the cable IS broken because the twisted metal here IS the cable, right? And that metal swirly bit just past the black o-ring is the other half of that broken cable.

I guess my other question still stands - if I can keep the gear out while waiting until I can afford the cable. Hopefully, soon.

ACCC5894-9F1D-47E7-8E3E-8817EF5B1D75.jpeg

Well, after using my brain and closer examination of the pictures I think I answered my first question. Yes, the cable IS broken because the twisted metal here IS the cable, right? And that metal swirly bit just past the black o-ring is the other half of that broken cable.

I guess my other question still stands - if I can keep the gear out while waiting until I can afford the cable. Hopefully, soon.

View attachment 2899732

Hello , matt here

Your Internal Coaxial Cable has sheared at the KEY WAY location on the DRIVE and DRVEN Gear ,

NOT to worry ............

i have your back here : :)

SEE LINK below ,

i CAN
Express USPS overnight mail one i DO have in-stock , for ONLY $22 shipping cost ....

please let mew know how i can further help in any way ?

thanks

1642657030001.png

1642657073796.png

Last edited:
Yes sir. As you confirmed it's definitely broken. As for screwing the cable housing back onto the T-case...you can do this and drive, but eventually the gear oil will creep up the housing (there's a light amount of pressure in the case). If this happens you'll start to get gear oil dripping behind your gauged cluster. I've learned this the hard way as there's a felt type gasket in there that may be compromised allowing oil to pass. This is not a huge problem and fortunately a fairly easy fix. the hardest part is seating the rubber grommet into the bottom side of the trans hump. I’d buy the set up from Matt (above post) and save yourself a lot of trouble. Used ones are not gonna provide any guarantees going forward.

Last edited:
Hello , matt here

Your Internal Coaxial Cable has sheared at the KEY WAY location on the DRIVE and DRVEN Gear ,

NOT to worry ............

i have your back here : :)

SEE LINK below ,

i CAN
Express USPS overnight mail one i DO have in-stock , for ONLY $22 shipping cost ....

please let mew know how i can further help in any way ?

thanks

View attachment 2899740

View attachment 2899741
Hi @ToyotaMatt Matt,

Thanks! I don’t see the overnight option available but the link is good. That’s the part I need.

@CenTXFJ60 - you mentioned gear oil. Is that what the fluid is? Do you know where I could top that off? I’m going to take your advice and just replace immediately because I don’t want gear oil creeping up behind the dash. Thanks again.

Hi @ToyotaMatt Matt,

Thanks! I don’t see the overnight option available but the link is good. That’s the part I need.

@CenTXFJ60 - you mentioned gear oil. Is that what the fluid is? Do you know where I could top that off? I’m going to take your advice and just replace immediately because I don’t want gear oil creeping up behind the dash. Thanks again.

I DO NOT have it set up in the shipping program yet , my hosting service is still working on it for me

this is EAZY PEEZY ,

ill PM you and further explain

simply go ahead and place the order as is i will assist you via PM on the Shipping USPS OVERNIGHT express option we are going to hook you up with :cool:

thanks

a1.jpg

Hi @ToyotaMatt Matt,

Fill with gear oil right there until it starts to run back out. Then you’ll know it’s full.
EB0B66A4-6ABE-4F12-BD15-416CC442F9EF.jpeg

Hi @ToyotaMatt Matt,

your shipped OVERNIGHT EXPRESS USPS / EMS !

HOUSTON Incoming TEq Landing this time tomorrow :)

58E42D3D-6A4C-42C2-B9FB-B408C6CF489D.jpeg

usps1 - Copy.png

I received the part from @ToyotaMatt and attempted an install today. I ran into an issue (always an issue, amiright) where I couldn’t figure out how to get the speedo gear back into the transfer case. Interestingly, as I said earlier, when I unscrewed the speedo cable from (what I now know) is the gear sleeve, the gear (teeth and pin) popped out along with a bunch of gear oil. Now that I know the gear is supposed to be seated *inside* the sleeve further into the transfer case I’m totally baffled how the gear popped out but not the sleeve (the sleeve is actually screwed into the TC). The gear teeth are too large to fit through the sleeve hole where the threads are - anyway, I removed the sleeve by unscrewing it counter-clockwise, reseated the gear within the sleeve and reassembled. No more oil oozing out and at this point I’ll need to replace a fair bit.

Figuring out the sleeve thing took longer than expected and ate up my daylight hours.

I did find the grommet from the underside of the truck where the speedo cable goes. Does anyone know exactly where it pops up in the cab? Pics would be helpful or a clear description - I don’t want to have to remove a bunch of carpet and sound deadening trying to find the path if I don’t have to.

More pics tomorrow.

7906F968-AB8A-4CEE-81AF-6D64C95D15E9.jpeg

A911826B-F28A-4BD8-B8C9-8227EF9984B3.jpeg

900961C0-EE93-4CB8-88CB-D192E541F59A.jpeg

D76C6BA2-2BD7-4D50-B3AA-5EE7F72806DE.jpeg

I received the part from @ToyotaMatt and attempted an install today. I ran into an issue (always an issue, amiright) where I couldn’t figure out how to get the speedo gear back into the transfer case. Interestingly, as I said earlier, when I unscrewed the speedo cable from (what I now know) is the gear sleeve, the gear (teeth and pin) popped out along with a bunch of gear oil. Now that I know the gear is supposed to be seated *inside* the sleeve further into the transfer case I’m totally baffled how the gear popped out but not the sleeve (the sleeve is actually screwed into the TC). The gear teeth are too large to fit through the sleeve hole where the threads are - anyway, I removed the sleeve by unscrewing it counter-clockwise, reseated the gear within the sleeve and reassembled. No more oil oozing out and at this point I’ll need to replace a fair bit.

Figuring out the sleeve thing took longer than expected and ate up my daylight hours.

I did find the grommet from the underside of the truck where the speedo cable goes. Does anyone know exactly where it pops up in the cab? Pics would be helpful or a clear description - I don’t want to have to remove a bunch of carpet and sound deadening trying to find the path if I don’t have to.

More pics tomorrow.

View attachment 2902716

View attachment 2902717

View attachment 2902718

View attachment 2902719

Excellent Documentation here for the future help to others ..........

i hope these TECH images assist you :)

1642945254871.png

1642946145114.png

1642946175974.png

There are many things that are not right with your situation. First is that gear should be on the other side of the gear housing. And that housing does not screw in. It’s held in by an O-ring creating a snug fit. Then you have the lock thing (can see it in Matt’s diagram) that keeps it from backing out. Not sure how the gear came out unless it was put in backwards. Also, who ever serviced or rebuilt your T-case clocked the output cover wrong. The female port for the speedo cable should be on the other side. You may need to buy a whole new speedo gear drive mechanism which I believe is still available at Toyota. I’ll see if I have any pictures I can post for you. Might be easier to explain live. You’re welcome to call me at 713-805-3962. Thanks. Jimmy

There are many things that are not right with your situation. First is that gear should be on the other side of the gear housing. And that housing does not screw in. It’s held in by an O-ring creating a snug fit. Then you have the lock thing (can see it in Matt’s diagram) that keeps it from backing out. Not sure how the gear came out unless it was put in backwards. Also, who ever serviced or rebuilt your T-case clocked the output cover wrong. The female port for the speedo cable should be on the other side. You may need to buy a whole new speedo gear drive mechanism which I believe is still available at Toyota. I’ll see if I have any pictures I can post for you. Might be easier to explain live. You’re welcome to call me at 713-805-3962. Thanks. Jimmy
Hi Jimmy, thank you for your number. I actually do understand what you’re saying. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why my speedo cable route path looked so different and it hit me what you were saying. The sleeve is on the wrong side. Other that forcing me into a less than ideal speedo cable route path, are there any drawbacks to keeping it as is until it’s time for the next rebuild?

Also, I was wrong about the sleeve screwing in - I just kind of slid it back there and twisting it helps get it further back enough to re-lock or with the metal piece tightened down by the 12mm bolt.

The last person to install must have put the gear in backwards - I have no idea how else it would have popped out without the sleeve. What is even more baffling is that the speedometer and odometer actually worked before the cable broke awhile back. I dunno. Very odd.

I couldn't get the filler bolt off the TC. It isn't rounded out but someone must have overtorqued it. I have half a mind to take it somewhere and gave them seal with it...I know I lost some oil but not too much and I don't plan on using 4WD before I can get it topped off.

Good news though - speedometer and odometer are now working. Getting that gasket on the hole located behind the shifter directly under the plastic heating tube thing was a huge pain.

Attachments

• BDB1E391-22CE-42B4-AA8F-B2A434EE5654.jpeg
    BDB1E391-22CE-42B4-AA8F-B2A434EE5654.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom