Is my shaft about to explode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone can share a picture of their front drive shaft?

Last night I was replacing some exhaust gaskets and fixing leaks when I noticed some concerning marks on my front shaft. Luckily the rig is part time but I need to get this sorted out.

Apparently I need longer drop links on my sway bar because the drive shaft rubs on the sway bar.

I have never felt or heard anything when wheeling but from the photo it is definitely happening.

20220809_175509.jpg

The weird thing is the top of the sway bar is not worn down to shiny metal like the shaft.

I am not sure if I have just rubbed it enough to expose fresh metal or if I have actually formed a groove in the shaft.

In the photo my finger is on a ridge with a groove on either side, are these grooves original or caused by rubbing my shaft too much 🤣

I am going to order a longer drop kit for the sway bar and I want to know if I also need a new front shaft or if the damage is superficial.

Thanks

Not like my shaft but hey i am a eyes forward kinda guy(just kinda a respect thing). Youve been rubbing, but no way to know how much meat you have left but yeah you've been rubbing.

Typically the drive shaft only rubs on the sway bar at full droop. The pic is too close to fully see the associated geometry

So, I think what landtank is saying is, he wants to see pics of your shaft from different angles, and not so close up, so he can appreciate the full length of it???

Yeah, I think my buddy has a used shaft he will sell me cheap. I am going to pick it up, throw in some new u-joints and figure out a better sway bar drop set up.

So, I think what landtank is saying is, he wants to see pics of your shaft from different angles, and not so close up, so he can appreciate the full length of it???
This thread sure deteriorated quickly.
All I can say is (and I'm bragging now), is I have 2 REALLY good (drive) shafts
Oh, most important: they've never been rubbed "inappropriately," and they extend to my wife's complete satisfaction - when she rides (in the vehicle)

Last edited:
Can someone can share a picture of their front drive shaft?

Last night I was replacing some exhaust gaskets and fixing leaks when I noticed some concerning marks on my front shaft. Luckily the rig is part time but I need to get this sorted out.

Apparently I need longer drop links on my sway bar because the drive shaft rubs on the sway bar.

I have never felt or heard anything when wheeling but from the photo it is definitely happening.

View attachment 3082697

The weird thing is the top of the sway bar is not worn down to shiny metal like the shaft.

I am not sure if I have just rubbed it enough to expose fresh metal or if I have actually formed a groove in the shaft.

In the photo my finger is on a ridge with a groove on either side, are these grooves original or caused by rubbing my shaft too much 🤣

I am going to order a longer drop kit for the sway bar and I want to know if I also need a new front shaft or if the damage is superficial.

Thanks
Is the slip yoke attached to the front differential or the transfer case?

Seems kinda personal and something that might have happened in the early weeks of life ha

Slip yoke would appear to be attached to the diff.

20220809_193024.jpg

My sway bar endlinks were not the right size and my front driveshaft had much less but similar wear. The slip yoke was no longer functioning and made a banding sound when crossing over speed bumps. I installed a DC driveshaft, increased the sway bar drops, and check for contact on a regular basis.

Yep. I did the same thing on my first wheeling trip with my LX450. Put a real nice deep groove into the shaft from the front sway bar.
Added 2" drop blocks to the sway bar mounts, and bought a new OEM front shaft. No issues since.

What is this front swaybar you are all talking about?

It's kind of like a jock strap for toyotas. When your getting rowdy and athletic it keeps your shaft in place.

Nothing to add other than this thread did not disappoint.

I’ve seen sway bars installed upside down which will cause a lot of contact with the drive shaft

Interesting thought. I will check this because I do have the man a fre sway bar drop kit but it was installed by the PO.

(*next, he's gonna ask us all to post pics of our sway bars. 3,...2,...1,...)

(*next, he's gonna ask us all to post pics of our sway bars. 3,...2,...1,...)

Meh, I got the fsm amd it will show the correct orientation of the sway bar. I only wanted pictures of everyone's shaft.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom