Is my outer axle too worn out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

g-man

SILVER Star
Threads
Went in to replace the axle seal and found some carnage. Bottom trunion bearing exploded and the knuckle was loose.

1. Looks like the Birfield was pushing in and out and deformed the cup shape that it sits in on the inside of the axle housing (the globe shaped part) I worry that the inner axle will continue to push in and out and keep destroying new inner axle seals.

2. My birf has lots of scratches from bearing damage on the rounded part. Easy enough to replace.

3. The brass bushing on the back of the spindle has a 45 degree bevel (cut in it?) Guessing that should be a flat. Easy enough the press in a new one. (edit)see last pic

round holes in the housing where the trunion races sit look good. (edit) the races were still tight in the holes. The bottom race had some wear on the bottom edge of it, I'll replace the races.

The 54 mm nuts were loose but the tabs on the washer was still holding.

The knuckle looks good inside.

Bottom:

20190518_144149.jpg

Top:
20190518_144204.jpg

outer birf:
20190518_144220.jpg

Spindle bushing:
20190518_144246.jpg

Last edited:
So the tip end of the rounded ball of the birf gets snugged by this bushing and goes into the bevel? Maybe knock out any burrs inside the axle housing and put it all back together and as long as the 54 mm nuts stay snug the birf hopefully doesn't wander? I know from doing this before that you can put a small bolt in the birf and pull the inner axle outward to get the snap ring in the groove. Prob moves about 1/4 inch. I assume if mine is moving excessively I have to do something to eliminate the play. Is there a fix other than replacing the outer axle?

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit I plan on ordering your Birf and knuckle kit. Can you tell me what I can do about the axle housing?

The birf shouldn’t touch the housing when properly shimmed and a good spindle bush. I’d knock down any ridges or high spots with a die grinder or even emery cloth and rebuild. Replace the spindle bush and make sure you have a proper tolerance at the drive flange our outer hub so that bird isn’t “floating” around in there.

Those birfs are pretty tuff -- Can't really tell from the pic, but if it's deep scored, then prolly replace. If it's surface scuff, prolly ok.

If you replace the brass bushing, you may have to hone it if the axle is tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom