Is my Frame Bent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
I have been getting this frame ready for new V8 mounts, sandblasting and powder coating. All the old mounts have been removed and I was just getting ready to grind smooth all the leftover welds where the old junk mounts were when I noticed this may be bent. I made sure all the jacks are in the same notch (same height) and without touching the frame it sits on 3 points (2 in the back and passenger side front). Driver side front is raised in the air about an inch. The jack are all the same model numbers and this is all new concrete although the jacks are on 2 different pads. Notice the bubble as well.

1634601098053.JPEG

Here is the backside without touching the frame, again 3 points touching (2 in the back and passenger side front). Bubble is perfect

1634601097714.JPEG

1634601097465.JPEG

When I push down on the front, the bubble moves to perfect but the passenger rear is now lifted off.

1634601097201.JPEG

This will be a daily driver so making sure this is ok one way or the other is critical. I'm sure there is some amount of twist that would be ok but I'm pretty sure this is not good enough to continue without fixing. I will call a frame shop tomorrow to see what they charge to check it out and adjust, if necessary. It is important to continue using this frame as it matches the title. Please chime in with your thoughts, recommendations, etc.

Thanks!

Those jackstands are not really a machined surface to do a real fine measurement. But if you are seeing a teetering the frame probably has a small twist. I believe a trip to a quality frame shop would be a good thing. You already have the frame out.

Put your level on the concrete in front of the jack stands.
I have similar issue with the rear fenders and floor.
Find out.. jacks has 0.25 inch different.. garage floor has 0.3 inch and all liquid level has 0.1in resolution error
total could be 0.5-0.75 inch error..

There's a couple other flat spots that are level-friendly as you work your way down the frame - might be worth snagging some level measurements at a couple more spots between front and rear. Might help isolate where the tweak is, or at least provide some additional insights.

Run a laser beam and align each stand match. Or get string and level from stand to stand lengthwise to create Rectangle and in "X" fashion. I hope that makes sense.

You could try clamping a piece of square tubing or angle iron flat across the front of the frame that extends out past a few feet on either side and then do the same on the rear of the frame and get a better perspective on the "twist" . I know everyone has an Idea of what way they would try it but I think you'd get a better look at it that way. A frame shop would be able to fix the twist if there is one fairly easily but I'd probably try to do it myself.

If it is out of your budget, just build it. If you are wanting a long term driver with confidence that the frame is exact, take it to a shop.

Here is some info on frame damage.

Yes , They all are. From the pics you posted thats just a twist not a bend . Once you get weight on her she will lay flat

Yes , They all are. From the pics you posted thats just a twist not a bend . Once you get weight on her she will lay flat

I may be wrong , but , I believe the reason for the frame dimensions to be in specification when building the vehicle is because it is the basic strength for all the parts to ensure vehicle stability. Perhaps the manufacturer could allow twist and hope after weight is on it it will become well. There is a reason for frame specifications is what I am saying. Now, with a 40-50 year old vehicle can you just run it , yes. It all depends on what you want the vehicle to be.

With the frame already bare, it shouldn't be much for a frame shop to remove the twist.

I know the PO did a lot of welding on the frame so a good amount of heat has been applied. Based on other things the PO did I'm sure it was caution to the wind and pass the stick welder. From the front of the rear spring mount all the way back it is boxed and in front of the support below the radiator both frame rails are boxed as well. Weld are top and bottom, full length. A second rear shock mounting tube was also added. We'll see tomorrow what $$$ would be involved in a professional inspection and go from there. Thanks for all the input, great info all around!

Run a laser beam and align each stand match. Or get string and level from stand to stand lengthwise to create Rectangle and in "X" fashion. I hope that makes sense.
Agree 100% - The jack stands have to be shot in level before an accurate assessment can be made. An easy way to shoot level is with a home made water level.

Screenshot 2021-10-19 081814.png

Yup, water level would be perfect option as well. :), But hearing the frame being welded on, it is obviously a moog point. What is so neat about these frames is they used rivets to hold it together. Which means they will flex and many times with out cracking the frame. But depending how the welding was performed it may have hurt the integrity of the frame. They say if you do choose to weld as a fix, do it sections and intervals so not to create to much heat that will cause the frame it to bend.

Yup, water level would be perfect option as well. :), But hearing the frame being welded on, it is obviously a moog point. What is so neat about these frames is they used rivets to hold it together. Which means they will flex and many times with out cracking the frame. But depending how the welding was performed it may have hurt the integrity of the frame. They say if you do choose to weld as a fix, do it sections and intervals so not to create to much heat that will cause the frame it to bend.
Talked to the frame shop today. For about $80 they will do an inspection to confirm either way. Lost my sense of small and taste today after having a dry cough for the last couple days. COVID rapid test in the morning and then as long as its negative, I will be on the way to frame shop for a definitive answer. If it's positive I'll have to find me some of that there horse dewormer (according to the MSM) Ivermectin and kick the s*** outa this bitch.....the COVID, not the frame ;)

Talked to the frame shop today. For about $80 they will do an inspection to confirm either way. Lost my sense of small and taste today after having a dry cough for the last couple days. COVID rapid test in the morning and then as long as its negative, I will be on the way to frame shop for a definitive answer. If it's positive I'll have to find me some of that there horse dewormer (according to the MSM) Ivermectin and kick the s*** outa this bitch.....the COVID, not the frame ;)
Take care of yourself. Much more important than a frame .

@Drake2 Don't f**k around if you're positive. Call your Doc and start antibody treatment asap. Proven to be effective for covid.
Good wishes your way...

Hope you feel better. I would suggest asking if work is required and you have them doing it if can kindly wave the price of the inspection.

Hope you feel better. I would suggest asking if work is required and you have them doing it if can kindly wave the price of the inspection.
Thank you and good point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom