Is my fan clutch bad 99 Toyota land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here! Ok so I have a 99 Toyota land cruiser v8 4700. Recently at cold or hot startup the engine would revup loud. Fan kicks on immediately. Put in drive and getting out of 1st gear it would rev up to about 2700rpm but sound so load like a 84 Toyota. I would slightly let off the gas and it would immediately quietly down and shift fine afterwards. I looked it up online saw something about disconnecting the negative side of the battery for five minutes and it should reset the TCM transmission control module. I did that and it did quiet down alot but I can still tell its not as quiet as it was and getting out of 1st gear still took a tad bit longer. Took it to a mechanic, I assumed engine reached temp because of the distance getting to the shop. Mechanic told me to turn it off pop the hood. He immediately tried turning the fan blades and they seemed locked or had alot of resistance. He then said " needs a new fan clutch"
I told him I'd buy the original part and return to him.
I went home looked up fan clutch issues and found how to diagnose a fan clutch. Here's where it's confusing. I found many conflicting opinions to what the mechanic did in testing my fan clutch. So let me explain the test I did on my 99 Toyota land cruiser. Early morning engine is cold I attempted to rotate the fan blades. Lots of resistance no spin at all. Checked for leaks around the clutch fins and barrings and they were clean. Started the engine did the paper test and paper did not stop fans rotation not even slightly. I turned off the engine and fans stopped immediately.
So did I do the correct test for my 99 Toyota land cruiser ?
Is my fan clutch bad ?
Or what should else should i check ?

I would say if the fan has that much resistance with "no spin at all" then fan clutch is toast. Should have some resistance and spin some.

And recommend getting AISIN brand if possible.

I would say if the fan has that much resistance with "no spin at all" then fan clutch is toast. Should have some resistance and spin some.

And recommend getting AISIN brand if possible.
Is that resistance and some spin when the engine is hot or cold? And thanks for the reply

Either. Should never be as locked up as you seem to be saying. I had the same issue on my ‘99 after a pile of miles. New clutch was the answer.

Either. Should never be as locked up as you seem to be saying. I had the same issue on my ‘99 after a pile of miles. New clutch was the answer.
Thank you. I'll head out and buy the clutch. I'll have to check if it's AISIN parts. Here in Yemen the middle east its safest to just go to the Authorized Toyota dealership for parts although pricey but 90% reliable. Thanks again. I'll let ya know how it went after replacing the clutch.

I had issues with our fan clutch in sub 0F temperatures a few years back - truck would sound incredibly loud and gas mileage would tank. Mine was locked up tight when I tried to spin it. Replaced with new unit from Rockauto and that fixed the issue. It’s an easy replacement - unbolt fan shroud, hold with strap wrench while pulling the clutch/pulley bolts, then wrangle it out between the shroud and the rad. Install is reverse of removal.

I had issues with our fan clutch in sub 0F temperatures a few years back - truck would sound incredibly loud and gas mileage would tank. Mine was locked up tight when I tried to spin it. Replaced with new unit from Rockauto and that fixed the issue. It’s an easy replacement - unbolt fan shroud, hold with strap wrench while pulling the clutch/pulley bolts, then wrangle it out between the shroud and the rad. Install is reverse of removal.
Should be a easy fix I'll give it a try. Let ya know how it went.

Thank you. I'll head out and buy the clutch. I'll have to check if it's AISIN parts. Here in Yemen the middle east its safest to just go to the Authorized Toyota dealership for parts although pricey but 90% reliable. Thanks again. I'll let ya know how it went after replacing the clutch.
That’s good. AISIN should be what Toyota gives you.

Can anyone please tell me what a new clutch turns like while cold? Mine will spin a little less than a quarter of the way and has 300k miles on it. Have 7k silicon fluid ready to go for a fresh fill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom