Is it worth the extra money to search out 2013'+ ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing often overlooked in 13+ is the multi-color/not-monochrome MFI display in the center of the gauge cluster. It feels *much* more modern, and is something you are looking at a lot every time you drive the truck. IMO between that and the xenon headlamps I’d spend the extra money.. the other 13+ features are just icing on the cake.

Got it! Updated my original reply. The two more speeds (not sure on the real world advantages of that) and the tweaks seem to have become standard 2013 onward.

Nothing beats a real owner vs. trying to decipher a press release haha. Thanks
Hill start assist was standard in 2011, maybe before that too. And your list still makes it look like crawl control was added in ‘13, even though the change was just from 3 to 5 speeds. I’m not sure about other things on your list? Might be best to read through those model year differences threads in the FAQs to get your list accurate.

I would recommend looking at the "final" result you want your 200 to be in.

For example, and this is just me, I wanted my money to do the most... for me.
  • So I looked at the head unit, and I don't like any of the 200s. 2008-2020, they all are average at best. But I knew that the 2008-2011 had an option for a non-integrated head unit in the US. I viewed it as, "well, there are the only years I know I can dump the integrate screen for a nice Alpine like head unit." Remember, even a 2016-2020 will look old a a hell in 10 years, so who do you switch it out? You might not be able to, but I can with my 2011.
  • Cooled seats, I hate them, that's me.
  • Multi terrain select and more CRAWL control speeds. I'm a lockers guys, so I knew I was putting front and rear lockers in and my personality will never use CRAWL.
  • Nicer looking screen between the speedometer and tech. It's nice.
  • Trailer sway control. That I wanted, as a back up.
  • Blind Spot monitor. I think its great.
  • Turn Assist. Sounds awesome, but I've been doing fine without it on vehicle with worse turning radius. Also the fact that you have to have the center diff unlocked means I will never us it while climbing. So it seems pretty limited in its use compared to my past wheeling experiences.
At the time the smallest price difference I could find between a 2011 and a 2013 was $9000.

$9000 could buy front and rear lockers, 4.88s, a center screen that blows the pants off of anything any 200 will ever get. At that point I have a much more capable 200 than any factory 200 sold in the US and the infotainment will finally be what we all wanted it do be from the get go.

I lost the extra safety features of blind spot monitor, but my 200 is not a daily driver. It's used for only fun, so I'm never rushed, and feel like that takes a lot of potential accidents out fo the equation. Plus, I have since found some really nice aftermarket Blind spot monitors that are very interesting. One of them was on a 200 that came into the shop for sliders and skids, so I got to play with it a bit. Trailer sway control would be a nice feature as I tow pretty dang large loads.

So that's what brought me to my decision. If you don't see yourself wanting lockers, the 2013+ traction features are very nice upgrades. If you don't see yourself caring that the head unit is old, the newer the better. If you like cooled seats, get them. It's what works for you in the absolutely end.

Last edited:
'14 got lane departure and anti collision? Only LX or LC as well?

'14 LX does not have lane departure.
Anti-Collision - Yes. And if you haven't experienced it, its a big tight hug...just before you die. Totally caught be off-guard when a guy slammed his breaks in front of me.

A lot of features that didn't come on the LC until 2013+ are standard on the 2008+ LX570. Like Bluetooth, front camera, etc., etc. I LOVE my 2011 LX.

'14 LX does not have lane departure.
Anti-Collision - Yes. And if you haven't experienced it, its a big tight hug...just before you die. Totally caught be off-guard when a guy slammed his breaks in front of me.

Can you adjust the sensitivity and/or turn it off? I can adjust the sensitivity in my F150 and it actually works really well. I feel like it has saved me multiple times.

My vote is NO. I chose my 2009 Toyota LC over a 2013+. Although the grill on the 2016 is sooo much nicer but I couldn't justify the extra $$$. With the extra loot I upgraded suspension, wheels, tires, etc.

It isn't really cut and dried. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The only things I don't like on my '13 are the headlights and the entertainment system. I put LED bulbs in the headlights, but they still don't compare to real LED headlights, and the entertainment system UI is clunky, dated and navigation around the system is a hassle. Neither of these things is enough to get me to buy a newer rig though.

Something a lot of Toyota buyers tend to lose sight of is the subtle improvements Toyota makes between model years based on service records. Many, if not most, of these improvements will not show up on any feature or upgrade list. Things like the sealant used on the intake manifold to address previous year(s) manifold leaks. Maybe it's a torque spec, or an issue they may have with the durability of a particular part. All these items add up over time, and it's the main reason Toyota doesn't drastically change their platform often. For Toyota, "Kaizen" (continuous improvement) can be seen at the smallest levels.

My humble opinion - Buy the newest 200 series you can afford. Everything else is subjective.

Last edited:
Honestly, it depends on the price. When I was looking, the 13s were substantially more expensive than an 11 with similar mileage. I would have preferred a 13, but not for the price difference (it was 7k+ at the time).

And now with a 16, as much as I like all the additional little details, I find myself missing my '11 (but the 16 is pretty sweet). Too bad I don't have unlimited garage space. My wife thinks 3 rigs for me is enough (she also said one was enough, and then two, was enough...pretty soon I'll have a 45, 62, and 80 series. Anyone know an inexpensive contractor, I need more garage space!!!)

Something a lot of Toyota buyers tend to lose sight of is the subtle improvements Toyota makes between model years based on service records. Many, if not most, of these improvements will not show up on any feature or upgrade list. Things like the sealant used on the intake manifold to address previous year(s) manifold leaks. Maybe it's a torque spec, or an issue they may have with the durability of a particular part. All these items add up over time, and it's the main reason Toyota doesn't drastically change their platform often. For Toyota, "Kaizen" (continuous improvement) can be seen at the smallest levels.

My humble opinion - Buy the newest 200 series you can afford. Everything else is subjective.

Yup like the KDSS bolt change.

can you elaborate on this please?

^^^ ah yes, those bolts... thought you meant something else, for some reason.

^^^ ah yes, those bolts... thought you meant something else, for some reason.

Personally, i think that the change added like 100 more on the RTI score for the LC200. Just my opinion.

The vehicles are very close in form and function. The older LX has many of the features on a newer TLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom