Is it worth it? Turbo diesel japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Just bought me 1991 landcruiser from jAPAN. it's a 4.2 turbo Diesel. 120000km for 20 000$cdn. lOVE IT. But as a complete newbe to the concept of import vehicles I wonder if it was a good deal and what I can expect as far as parts and repairs etc go. Already I was surprised when they wouldn't change my oil at Mr.Lube. I had to go looking for an oil filter and by the concerned faces of various sales clerks and mechanics I surmise that I may have made a mistake buying the car. Just the fact that you have to pay 40$ for an oil filter is enough to make you wonder what the long term is going to look like.
Any thoughts?

AFAIK the oil filter will probably be a 90915-30002 which are about $12 in the US IIRC, so you could get half a dozen posted up to you fairly cheaply (if they are not available in Canada??), then you can go to a lube joint and hand them the filter and get the oil changed, just make sure they have diesel oil. Or you could do it yourself of course. The filter is a twin element filter, which makes it more expensive.
EDIT: available here for $9.97 USD
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=214074

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for the info on oil filters. Even knowing that much makes it a bit more manageable.
So there aren't many of these turbo Ds in the US?
I just saw on the net a conversion into a turbo diesel for 34 000$, and it essentially looks like mine, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining!
This is a great web site,
If only the background wasn't black and the letters white. Makes the old eyes hurt after a while.

Welcome, there are several guys on here with similar rigs, all over the world. That engine is fairly common on several other continents and i dont' think parts are that hard to come by. Spector Off Road, as well as Slee import from Austrailia quite often and I am sure they can get you the parts.
Cruiser Dan, or CDan the Parts Shaman as he is known can get you pretty much anything toyota make at a very nice discount.

Hi. Just bought me 1991 landcruiser from jAPAN. it's a 4.2 turbo Diesel. 120000km for 20 000$cdn. lOVE IT. But as a complete newbe to the concept of import vehicles I wonder if it was a good deal and what I can expect as far as parts and repairs etc go. Already I was surprised when they wouldn't change my oil at Mr.Lube. I had to go looking for an oil filter and by the concerned faces of various sales clerks and mechanics I surmise that I may have made a mistake buying the car. Just the fact that you have to pay 40$ for an oil filter is enough to make you wonder what the long term is going to look like.
Any thoughts?

If places like Mr Lube get the jitters when you show up maybe its a good time to do it yourself.
One of those places wrecked someones diesel landcruiser some time back by fitting the wrong filter:mad:

I did mine today,air filter oil filter and oil change in half an hour and most of that was waiting for the last few drops of oil to come out.
The good thing about these is that usually its just oil and filters and if you can do it yourself,then you dont need to pay a mechanic too often

Learn to do it yourself.

Now read about big end bearings BEB.

Have fun reading.

Get used to searching for your parts and do not take it to a place like Mr Lube.

hey billybob, im in victoria, and i got one late last year, you will not regret it. i got my first oil change at mr lube (i dealt with them with my 4runner), but brought my own filter and oil. enjoy.

since you're in kelowna one the closest places to you for parts will be Mustang Connection in Armstrong. Barry will hook you up with anything you may need at a fair price, load up on a few filters from him. Have fun.

you can get filters (oil and fuel) from toyota for about $30 (oil) maybe even less for the fuel filter. as mentioned before DON'T GO TO A 5 MIN. LUBE JOINT. these things are awesome!! you'll love it, and there are about a million in B.C.

Enjoy, and post some pics!!

Go for it!

The oil change is really easy. I was able to do it, and I'm the worst person for any kind of automotive stuff :)

congrats on the new truck. Should have no regrets and if you can't handle it I'm sure someone out there will buy it off you. They seem to hold value quite well. NO MR. LUBE!!! pics would be sweet also, just m2c

Who did you buy your Cruiser from? I just bought mine from Outback Imports and they give you a complete guide on how to take care of your vehicle plus you get the OSP package! It has 148 000kms and I paid around $22 400 Cnd. Here is a pic, its the only way I could figure out how to show it.

07-09-1-ToyotaLandcruiser4x4Diesel.html

I can't wait for it to get here, should be at the docks in Vancouver anytime now.

Oh and congrats on your new

Any thoughts?

There are a lot of things that go into a price for a car. I paid more for mine than you did, but I'm in Quebec and had to pay more because of extra transport, inspection and our high taxes. Also, it had only 68,760 km when I got it. Driven 12,000 on it since Nov. 9th :)

As others have said, buy your filter in the US. I was quoted $36 with discount and finally bought them in the US at a Toyata dealer for $10 each, so I grabbed 16 ;)

My experience with the rig is one of exhilaration. Love that truck. The only worry I have is, it's pretty cramped under the hood. A world of difference with the super simple 3B engine on the old 60.

Drive it, your love will grow along :)

Please post some pictures!

PS no problems starting in winter unplugged even at -30C... Never got to install my rad hose heater!!!

I got my cruiser from Outback too. They provided all the service and support I needed to drive her 2500 km home up the Alcan. They gladly answered any technical questions that came up.

The oil filter is the same as an 85 BJ60 which were imported into Canada. Any parts shop has them.
The same cross-ref for a lot of other parts you may need.

It's the same oil filter as Ford trucks. I use Purolator L30001 [$4] or PL30001 [$8]. Most lube change places will do your truck if you bring the filter and oil.

Welcome to mud Billy. When you get a chance send us some pics!
Oh and congrats on the purchase, you will love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom