Is it worth it to replace the quarter panels? (2 Viewers)

I've got a 60 that needs possibly be the outer quarter panel and inner wheel well replaced. It sounds like it could be a potential EI a lot of work and I'm not sure how many labor hours is required to drill out the spot Wells and cut out the quarter panels and possibly one wheel well.

Sorry for some reason my phone does not want to continue on with the original thread post so I'm extending it to this reply. So I don't have pictures at the moment but the left sheet metal around the left tail light is crushed in it's also a part I believe of the left wheel well. It might be easier to replace it by drilling out the spot Wells also the inner lip of the wheel well as most likely corroded away from the inner wheel well. Another option what do you do to find someone who is willing to cut out the wheel well that is spot welded to the quarter panel. The frame might have to be replaced. Parts of the frame have got holes near behind the front spring perch. It's also possible that I'm sure that I could patch in pieces of metal that matches the hole dimensions and Tig or Mig the metal in place. I have no idea what this would cost if I would have take the body off the frame. I know it would probably be a good idea to replace all the rubber frame mounts as the old ones are squished. I'm not a fast efficient 25 year old anymore where I can change an engine out in a single day.

PAToyota

Keystone Cruisers
SILVER Star

I'd start by comparing body panels from someplace like Cruiser Corps (LINK) to the areas in question. As you say, it may be easier to replace whole panels than "cut and paste" smaller patches. It's also possible to get the whole panel and then cut the piece out of it that you need - easier than making your own patch panels.

Without being able to see the damage/rust, where it is exactly, and how extensive it is, it's hard to give an estimate on what sort of money/time you're looking at.

I'd start by comparing body panels from someplace like Cruiser Corps (LINK) to the areas in question. As you say, it may be easier to replace whole panels than "cut and paste" smaller patches. It's also possible to get the whole panel and then cut the piece out of it that you need - easier than making your own patch panels.

Without being able to see the damage/rust, where it is exactly, and how extensive it is, it's hard to give an estimate on what sort of money/time you're looking at.
I'm sure the rest is very common in the same locations in 60 days that are driven in what parts of the country. In my case the bottom center of the inner wheel well that is spot welded to the floorboard. The part of the floorboard that is curved downward and matches the bottom edge of the inner wheel well has rest of the way. I could see the floor board sheetmetal curve. It's almost as if it's not even worth it to repair it. Question if the outer quarter panel was removed? Would it make easy access to where the inner wheel well is spot welded to the floorboard? I'm not getting any younger I don't have that stamina like I did 10 or 15 years ago when I was in my 30s. In fact when you get over 50 your body tends to slow down just doesn't have that drive like you used to do this kind of work. I wished also I had a shop it's really expensive play if you're on the West Coast I'm including Western Washington. I'm just wondering what it would cost to get another fj60 shell? Made it all seems like a lot of work but the frame is just as bad. Or I can just sell the vehicle as a parts vehicle and take the proceeds and buy something much more modern like a Toyota Tacoma. I don't really go off-roading I did a little bit of it but I really do stay on the streets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom