Is it worth it... cruiser purchase. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy-

I have an option to purchase a 79 fj40 that has a claimed 54K original miles on the clock. I know the seller well and have no reason to not believe him. He is a cruiser head and deals in cars regularly. I do trust him.

Sorry no pics.

History of the truck is that it was a toyota dealerships snow plow/parts truck for 20+ years, with one owner before that.

Everything is there and in stock condition, right down to the factory radio dash hole cover... bad news is, 20 years as a plow has ruined the body. Dash is flawless and looks brand new. top has never been off, and has zero rust.

The frame is badly pitted, but not rotted. the hood and fenders have small holes, less than a quarter sized. and the rockers, floors, and rear tub are all but shot. You can pass a tennis ball through several spots on the rear of the tub and the drivers side floor. It was hacked with a sunroof.

The top is solid, the rig runs great and drives great, stock wheels and caps, factory everything else, all emmissions stuff, no mods on anything but the sunroof!

The bed is toast, I was thinking of converting it to a fj45, but that is another story. If nothing else all the rust on my 76 is in the hardtop, and I could swap a few other parts, warn hubs, vent windows...

Bottom line. Rusty, low mile cruiser, known history, 1,200 bucks.

What do you think?

Thanks for your time.

Rezarf <><

$1200 sounds just fine and is prolly more than fair.

If it is in the condition you state that engine is worth that alone.......

I say buy it.

:D

Good Luck.

Where EXACTLY did you say that was located? Buy it with the knowledge that you'll have to invest a lot of money into body repair.

Sounds just like my first cruiser. Snowplow, perfect hardtop, perfect dash, low miles, and hardly any body to speak of. I paid $150 for mine and had to give the plow setup back to the owner. But that was 15 years ago. I would jump at the chance to buy a similiar rig for $1200. Sounds like a perfect donor for an aluminum tub and cowl, and some CCOT fenders. If you have 4 or 5 grand you can throw into the thing it could be a nice rig. I'm fairly certain my current 79 was in VERY sad shape before the p/o did the aluminum tub swap. My hardtop wasn't even salvageable.

cruiserwanted said:
If it is in the condition you state that engine is worth that alone.......

I say buy it.

:D

Good Luck.

Find me someone that would spend 1200.00 on a used engine.......

:rolleyes:

I was contemplating paying 1900.00 on a used motor from $OR before I joined this board and was educated.

Les

I have to think if it was a dealer car then it got decent care from a toyota mechanic with OEM parts. Bonus. 20 years on the transmission as a plow.???? Who knows.
1200 though I would do it too.

If it runs OK and the plow is in good shape it's worth $1200 as a plow rig. Plow or rig separated it is not worth it. 54k means nothing. It has spent an equal number of hours idleing, and then slamming into curbs, manhole covers and snow banks.

I don't know about Colorado...........but around here a dealer's plow truck is driven by the lowest paid employee, gets maintained when it breaks, and sold off or abandoned in the back of the lot when it breaks too often. :doh:

I just saw a complete 1979 front end for
$400
I've seen fair hard tops for
$500
Wheels and tires
$100
Windshield
$200?
Rear axle housing
$100
Drive shafts
$50?
Frame
$800?
seats
$100
Radio
$50

At modest non e-bay prices well over $2000

I'de buy it!

No plow, it was already sold.

I am thinking it is a decent deal. I do like the idea that toyota techs were the ones working on it.

Thanks for the advice, I will get some pics soon. Guess it is time to invest in the welder I have always wanted.

REZARF <><

QUOTE]Find me someone that would spend 1200.00 on a used engine.......[/QUOTE]

WARNING CHAT TO FOLLOW

http://www.sor.com/sor/products2.tam?xax=26019&category.ctx=035-&page#.ctx=035
http://www.cruiserparts.net/parts/fj40.htm

someone must buy them.......

post it on ebay and set your reserve at 1200.00 and you list it a few times it will sell for 1200.00.

Would I buy the engine out of a plow truck with 54K for 1200. NO, I do not think anyone on this board would but not everyone is on this board and stupid people buy stupid items and pay stupid prices every minute of every day on ebay. ;)

Regardless I say buy it if you are looking for a project.

There is a 79 2f with 60,000 a ex pro football play had yarded out his truck to put in a SBC. Eng trans for $1000. in this area that has been hang around for about 6 mo.

for comparison, I thought I would post results from a quick < $3K fj40 craigSEARCH
(no affiliation)

Portland:

Sep-16 [7]1970 FJ40 Clean, Must Go Now!! $2500 obo - $2500 (Milwaukie)
<<[8]cars_&_trucks
http://portland.craigslist.org/car/98065438.html

Denver:

Aug- 8 [15]1976 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 - $2000 (NW Denver)
<<[16]cars_&_trucks pic
http://denver.craigslist.org/car/89783776.html

Seattle:

Sep-19 [11]4x4-----4x4------ FJ40 LANDCRUISER 4X4---------4x4 - $2600
(RENTON) <<[12]cars_&_trucks pic
http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/98621498.html

Last edited:
Buy it, buggy it, "choo don need no steenkin tub" I have a sawzall and a bender, you buy the beer! :grinpimp: :bounce:

Ian-

Your garage is like a candy shop to me... I LOVE the look of Mudraks flat back bed, he used a lot of tubing you know! I am really leaning towards getting it.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom