Is it worth fixing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did the other car look when it did that damage to a 62?

A 2006 Ford Escape going the opposite direction turned left in front of me at an intersection and I hit him smack in the pillar between the passenger side doors at 30mph and drove it 2+ feet into his truck and spun it around 180 degrees. The only glass left in his truck was on the drivers side and the front passenger seat was about 6 inches wide. Pretty sure its a salvage yard special right now. I never saw him until it was too late and I turned left as hard as I could but no chance to miss him. Luckily there were two cops sitting at the cross street on the red light and watched the whole thing. He got a ticket, and I got one more project to finish before the arrival of our first child in June:bang:. The :princess: is thrilled.

At least no one was hurt.

If you get a 60 core support, try and find one with the headlight buckets still attached and even the surrounds, etc.

Might try cruiserparts.net in NH, but you'll prolly be able to get a better price from someone parting a rig.

GL

you read my mind

And after you do the 60 front end, take some of that $4100 and buy some front end protection, something like an ARB bullbar. It's a jungle out there.

Oh the bull bar is definitly on the way, trying to figure out how to hide it in the repair budget so the :princess: doesn't flip out, I am working on my defense position "Honey, it is to insure that our little girl is as safe as possible when riding in Daddy's truck". But this could backfire and result in "then buy a truck with air bags"

Anyone with an extra ARB bull bar laying around for a couple hundred bucks:rolleyes:, please let me know right away.

Absolutely. Same thing happened to our '89 - daughter "kissed" a telephone pole in the same spot. Found mostly used parts on-line and was able to put it all back together (can't recall if I could fix the radiator or got a new one). Had the cabin RF pillar pushed in an inch or so which caused the doors to be out of alignment but was abble top get a body shop to straighten that out for about $400. Frame OK. With 260K miles on it, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it and got it all together for less than $2K and didn't have to get a new/used car. Didn't do a real paint job on it but it's close enough for government work .

Fix it!!! You'll have fun doing it, and be that much more attached to the truck when it is done!

fix it definitely. you will regret getting rid of it. can't believe the damage to that other car....that is crazy. it's so funny, people always think my husband is crazy because he "lets" me drive our family around in our fj60 but this just goes to show that we're protected on the road. good luck!

Not your fault. Demand they fix it. I'd be sick if someone did that to my rig. That so sucks, I feel for ya.

"Not your fault. Demand they fix it."

X2

If you are willing to swap over to a FJ60 front end a local club member has two entire front clips along with an axle if yours is bent. If you decide to get rid of the truck there are probably a few local cruierheads who would buy it from you also in current condition.

Not your fault. Demand they fix it. I'd be sick if someone did that to my rig. That so sucks, I feel for ya.

"Not your fault. Demand they fix it."

X2

Depending on the laws in the state you reside it does not work that way. The law was recently changed here in MD where you get the two offers the author got.

Update on the outcome

Well, the lemonade is coming from the lemons. I did indeed keep her, but it was after totalling her out and buying her back for $560.

$2900 in parts, upgrades, retro grades and re works and the like, she is back road worthy, full strip down to bare metal paint job to come, as well as the winch.

I took the time to remove the inner fenders and rhino lined them, as well as the inside of the replacement fenders (found out that some one had welded in a repair on the drivers side that I wasnt fond of so the whole front end got new skins).

Better pictures after she gets her new dress on.

Roc Doc will no doubt give me some grief for the 60 front clip, but possession is 9/10ths of the law :flipoff2:

After it is all said and done, I will have no doubt spent way more than I planned and more than I got from he Ins. Co, but she is mine, I saved her, and I think that she is a pretty great (except for the times that she totally pisses me off....she is kind of like the:princess: in that way., LOL) and she will be in better shape because of it.
IMG00010.jpg

You did the right thing...

And just think of all the new stuff you learned to do on the cruiser!

Congrats!

well at least with the new bumper your front end will never look like it did before.

good choice.

Pound it out and pocket the cash. After all, it IS a landcruiser

Dents and desert pinstriping add character ;)

Edit... sorry only read the 1st post. oops

Nice job. Love the round headlights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom