Is it time to replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for some feedback from the mudd brain trust. I have a 1991 FJ80 with 216000 miles on it. I take it into some remote locations with little support especially during the fall/ early winter. So here is my dilemma... it seems the starter has never been replaced. Should I go ahead and replace it as PM or wait for signs of failure? Thanks for any feedback.
Scot

Bad starter is one of those things that'll kill a cruiser dead (if it's an automatic I mean). So I take great pains in making sure that things like the starter are always in top shape. First sign of it going south and I replace it.

That's the problem though, it has given me no signs that it is going to fail. Works every time the first time. So my question is what is the life expectancy of a starter? Thanks for getting back to me NLXTACY.

You can replace the 'contacts and plunger' which will prolong the life of the starter considerably. Search FAQ for starter rebuild procedure.

So my question is what is the life expectancy of a starter?

Somewhere between one million miles and the next red stop light. :flipoff2:

For me, I knew it was going because sometimes the solenoid would stick. I would bang on the solenoid with a hammer and it would start up no problem. I immediately replaced it with a 2.2Kw unit. Of course you don't have to do that. You could just rebuild it with the OEM kit which is pretty damn simple to do. If you feel nervous about it just go ahead and remove it and rebuild it. It will only take you a few hours total. At least then you will have piece of mind. A starter is the least of my concerns right now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom