is it the tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I imported my first Landcruiser, a diesel 83 BJ60, a few years ago. It's held up pretty well, needs a little frame work, engine's strong. A few weeks ago, I started being unable to shift into first or second, fourth or fifth, in the span of a day. My mechanic doesn't really know diesel Landcruisers, but says he thinks it's the transmission. Does this make sense to all the experienced LC owners out there? I have a quote of a thousand for a used H55 transmission, which, I'd hate to spend if this isn't the problem...any advice would be much appreciated.

I cannot remember if the H55 uses the same bushing as the 4 speed but I DO know that the 4 speed has a small plastic ring under the shifter. Those rings do wear out and do cause the exact symptoms you describe. Have your mechanic replace that ring first. It's a quick, 20 minute job and a $20 part.

maggdog said:
I imported my first Landcruiser, a diesel 83 BJ60, a few years ago. It's held up pretty well, needs a little frame work, engine's strong. A few weeks ago, I started being unable to shift into first or second, fourth or fifth, in the span of a day. My mechanic doesn't really know diesel Landcruisers, but says he thinks it's the transmission. Does this make sense to all the experienced LC owners out there? I have a quote of a thousand for a used H55 transmission, which, I'd hate to spend if this isn't the problem...any advice would be much appreciated.

I would go with cruiser guys advice about the plastic bush 1st.
I think it is differnt to a 4 sp.The 5sp is rounded and the 4sp is square?

I find it a little strange you lost all your gears .
It could be in selectors or the clutch.
I would have thought a gearbox problem that wont let you shift into any gear would really be making some noise.

If it does have a serious problem consider rebuilding your old one .
Used 5 sp can be a worry unless there is some sort of warranty but its still a pain pulling them in and out.
Also some of the cruiser owners in the US have been getting new 5sp boxes for about $1800.
Not sure if that price will apply to the B motor H55f

Have a look at your clutch master/slave as well.

thanks!

Thanks everyone for the advise. So many friends tell me to sell the car...it's too rare, too expensive...they just don't know!! I'm not sure what I'd do without this website, though, so again, thanks for the expertise.

maggdog, did you ever find out what the problem was? Mine just started doing almost exactly what you described- I have rebuilt the slave cylinder and master cylinder- but still no go. Sometimes if I start it in 2nd or 3rd gear, I can get it to shift- but only if I dont depress my clutch all the way! I dont to pull the trannsmission just now as it was overhauled only about 2 years ago/30,000 km. John

90% of the time it is the plastic bush under the shift lever itself. It disintegrates with time and drops the shifter too far into the tranny. Try shifting with hard upward (as if you're going to yank the shifter out of the tranny) force and see if that helps. If so, I'd be replacing the bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom