Is it the Starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Sometimes when I turn the key I hear just one click and then nothing. Sometimes this only happens once sometimes 2 or 3 times (1 click each time). Then it starts normally when I turn the key again.

Does it sound like the starter is going?

Could be a bad connection, so you might check those first... including your ground connections. If it's not resolved via connections sounds like a starter issue... or at least the solenoid starting to go.

jm

agreement with JM. unbolt the wires and clean them with some sand paper or emory cloth. get metal to metal. put some grease on them so the dont corrode. like elecrical diode grease. then try it. if the starter keeps "clicking" its probably the solinoid. the old rap with a hammer trick works for a while but it might be time to get a new one.

:cheers:

Your post was 9 years ago ... I just picked up an '81 fj40, I have the exact same problem as you did wiht the "click"....what was your final solution?

Romer sold his 40 a while ago :doh:

check your solenoid on the carb

check your solenoid on the carb

Are you reading the same thread I am?

How would an idle solenoid on the carburetor effect starter motor performance?

:confused:

78Lc
Have you noticed if your fuel gauge is operational when this happens? I have had a similar problem that is intermittent at best, I was reading a thread on here ( electrical problems 99% solved) in which the problem was traced to a defective ignition switch.
Check / clean your grounds
Best of luck - electrical gremlins suck, my trucks PO should have hired someone to install the painless wiring harness Rather than bugger it up. Currently going through the mess that he made of it....but its a learning experience

Your post was 9 years ago ... I just picked up an '81 fj40, I have the exact same problem as you did wiht the "click"....what was your final solution?

Could be bad electrical connections, bad switch, low battery voltage, or solenoid that is on its way out.

Romer said:
Sometimes when I turn the key I hear just one click and then nothing. Sometimes this only happens once sometimes 2 or 3 times (1 click each time). Then it starts normally when I turn the key again.

Does it sound like the starter is going?

I have had that happen on a couple of my Toyotas. Both times it was the starter solenoid. Check your battery cable connections, both positive and negative at both ends. If they are good, it may be burned contacts in the starter solenoid. You used to be able to buy just the contacts, they are probably still available from Toyota.

I had the same issue and it was fixed by tightening the battery cables. I bet you that's the issue and for the money ($0) I would try it first.

Are you reading the same thread I am?

How would an idle solenoid on the carburetor effect starter motor performance?

:confused:

She just figured that there was only one solenoid for the whole vehicle. Beginner's mistake, right?

Or maybe she meant to pull the starter solenoid, and check it while it's physically located on top of the carb. Good height for a workbench.

every time I've had this on a cruiser it's been bad battery connections. Give them all a thorough going over before thinking about the solenoid

pull off the battery cables, scuff 'em up with sand paper, put them on, and tighten the bolt. usually works for me.

Too bad Romer sold his '40.

To the rest of your guys, I appreciate the suggestions...I have a lot of traveling this week - I will be checking the 'grounds' next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom