Is it the knuckle, spindle, or wheel bearing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally did a simple shake down of the suspension on my 88 FJ62 with 220K miles and only found one glaring problem. I jacked both wheels off the ground and found the front right wheel when grabbing the top and bottom moves a lot inwards. I'd say it probably moves about 1/8", to 1/4" at the top. Didn't measure, but it moves a lot. The other side is fine. and so are the rears. This also explains the slight pull to the right on breaking, and the vibration over 50 mph I believe. Tie rods didn't seem to be wobbling about, but was moving things by myself.

Is the next step to get the tools to get at the wheel bearings? Beyond that I'm gonna have to take it to a shop I think. Or is it definitely not the bearing, and go directly to a shop?

Yes, it is either the knuckle (aka trunion) or wheel bearings. If you look closely when someone else pulls on the top and bottom of the tire, you can tell. Replacing either one is not a big deal, but it is greasey work.

I'd take it down to the wheel bearing at least It takes about 10 minutes if you have the tools - nothing special except the 54 mm socket for the spindle nut. You will be able to tell if they are chewed up with a visible inspection. Also, if you pull the off the locking hub cap and move the wheel like you described you should be able to actually see the play within the hub housing if it is wheel bearing play.

You can check the trunion bearings with everything together. Have a buddy move the tire like you described and put your finger right where the knuckle meets the axle housing... so you can feel if the knuckle is moving with respect to the housing. If you feel movement you know that at least the trunion bearings are loose.

Did any of that make sense?

you can also get someone to step on the brakes when you are checking for movement, this will isolate the wheel bearings and if there is still movement good chance it is knuckle bearings

That has to be wheel bearings. If there were that much play in the trunion bearings the whole knuckle would move. You should get mentally prepared to rebuild the whole thing anyway, it isn't hard and the trunion bearings (knuckle bearings) are proabaly bad too, but that usually doesn't result in excessive wheel movement like you describe.

That has to be wheel bearings. If there were that much play in the trunion bearings the whole knuckle would move. You should get mentally prepared to rebuild the whole thing anyway, it isn't hard and the trunion bearings (knuckle bearings) are proabaly bad too, but that usually doesn't result in excessive wheel movement like you describe.

Agreed, but I had play like that when I had a crushed trunion bearing. So it IS possible.

Agreed, but I had play like that when I had a crushed trunion bearing. So it IS possible.

You were right. I took the hub lock cover off and wheel off, and I can see the movement is at the spindle, not the wheel bearing. The FSM makes this look pretty hairy, but you guys seem to think its easy.

Time to dig into the research and get my ducks in a row....

You were right. I took the hub lock cover off and wheel off, and I can see the movement is at the spindle, not the wheel bearing. The FSM makes this look pretty hairy, but you guys seem to think its easy.

the wheel bearing sit on the spindle.

(the axles shaft part(birfield) under the hub cover is 'loose' fyi)

most likely it is the wheel bearing.

either way its a bearing thats gone.

if you drive it too much with a bad bearing you might cause damage to your rotors/pads or your spindle. (maybe worst stuff too)

get yourself a rebuilt kit. with all bearings.

then someone has to get their hands dirty, if you choose to do this yourself, know that its not a hard job. make sure you get have the fsm printout beside you. it is a -long- job, and it is really -dirty-. do one side at the time, so that you can reference the other side for re-assembly.

i bet if you have beer around, it might attract a cruiserhead or two to come supervise you.

inspect brakes/rotors while doing the job

i suggest 3-4 rolls of blue hd paper towels, 4lbs of hd wheel bearing grease, and a box of gloves or a few pair of dollar store dishwashing type glove

kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com has a fair price on full knuckle rebuilt kit.

ps tools needed:
big hammer
54mm socket
a few flat head screw drivers or a pair of snap ring plyers

ps, look in the faq, there are good write-ups

i bet if you have beer around, it might attract a cruiserhead or two to come supervise you.

I have beer and I am going to rebild my axle tomorrow........chirp.....chirp.

I really am going to do my rebuild tomorrow as long as its not raining. I have everything i should need...I hope. I have been dreading this for almost 6 months but it has to be done. My leaks have gotten worse and I cant stand the shaking anymore.

It isn't that difficult, just a greasy mess of a job. Put something large, like a flattened out cardboard box, under the hub and dig in. I usually get a couple gallons of gas in a bucket and toss everything in. Some good gloves and some scrubbing and all will look like new.

TP

My $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom