Is it the carburetor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

projectTuRD

SILVER Star
Threads
Rochester 2 barrel that came on the truck and ran fine before the headgasket.
Truck has been down about 15 months.
Got it running, carburetor worked.
A week or so goes by, won’t start-no fuel getting through the carburetor.
New fuel filter
New fuel pump
New rubber lines from filter to pump and hard line to carburetor.
Pulled the line at the carburetor and pumped fuel into a glass jar.
Still no fuel through the carburetor.
I’m guessing there’s sediment blocking the jets?
The glass filter housing only gets 1/2 full. Could there be air getting in and messing something up, even though I’m getting fuel at the carburetor?
If I need to rebuild this one, I’d rather find a stock rebuilt one instead (1969 fj40).

I had a Rochester 2 barrel on my Chevelle when I first bought it. Very similar issue and it ended up being the float needle stuck closed. It would bleed a tiny amount of fuel past into the carb so it’s run for very short bursts. Seemed like it was pumping from the fuel pump fine but just kind of dead headed when it hit the carb.
Do you have compressed air available? If so, pull the fuel line into the carb off and lightly blow some air into the carb fuel inlet. If it freely flows in and through the carb, that’s not the issue. If it builds pressure then that’s likely it. Should be able to just pull the top off the carb to access float and needle assembly. May need a new gasket.

Believe it was a Carter that was on my 68 when I bought. Float stuck that carburetor. Used a block of wood to smack the top of the carburetor to free it up. Limited budget back in 1974 and this was cheap way to keep it going.

I had a Rochester 2 barrel on my Chevelle when I first bought it. Very similar issue and it ended up being the float needle stuck closed. It would bleed a tiny amount of fuel past into the carb so it’s run for very short bursts. Seemed like it was pumping from the fuel pump fine but just kind of dead headed when it hit the carb.
Do you have compressed air available? If so, pull the fuel line into the carb off and lightly blow some air into the carb fuel inlet. If it freely flows in and through the carb, that’s not the issue. If it builds pressure then that’s likely it. Should be able to just pull the top off the carb to access float and needle assembly. May need a new gasket.
Pulled the top off and cleaned everything up. Of course I dropped the screw that holds all the linkage to the carburetor top 🤦🏼 It’s down there somewhere

4AD0B0FF-4BB2-4F09-A926-EC976A642EAA.jpeg

Magnets are your friends

Turns out the linkage screw is a 6/32, which I literally have hundreds of, since they’re the same ones that hold electrical devices to junction boxes. 😉

Turns out it’s leaking through the linkage pivot points on both sides of the base.
Not sure how to seal those up.

Last edited:
Throttle shaft leakage usually requires boring out the carburetor shat holes and inserting bushings that will take up the slack.

I had one of those. It’s part of the old Man-A-Fre power kit. The carb may have started out new in Detroit on a 62 Impala and was probably rebuilt a few times before it ended up on your engine. Even new, you wouldn’t want it if you climb steep hills. Better off with the OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom