Is it the Battery ? Alternator? Or something I don't know about? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Here's the scenario.

My 62 wouldn't start. I threw the battery jumper on it and bang...it starts.

Turned it off. Now it won't start.

Next thing i did was I took one cable off that was corroded and cleaned it..Then jumped it again...then it started for a couple of days. Now it won't start.

It will still take my battery jump starter and start right up. which I did earlier When I turned the headlights on the while it is running the radio goes off..then it comes back on, and there is a noticable decrease on the battery charge level indicator. But it goes back up. When I hit the gas while idling the charge level seems to move up a bit, so I don't think it is the alternator.

Or is it?

Think I only need a new battery? I don't know how old the thing is. I've had the cruiser for 3 years or so and have never replaced it.

maybe battery and or corrosion at the terminals.

I've seen battery cables that had corrosion down the insulation away and was causing problems.

The battery will have the date code 'dots' removed letting you know how ancient it is.
It all could be a weak battery, and poor connections. Clean up all the connections you can find in the starting/charging circuit.

My 0.02 is that as a matter of preventative maint. at least, it would be good to replace the battery, then continue troubleshooting from there, if needed.

definitely replace battery after a few years of use and all...

X - 2

I have ran into this more than once on my vehicles. I spent a weekend chasing alleged electric gremlins just to find out my battery cables were corroded internally.

glad to know I'm not the only one who spent a day doing that!

After you replace or battery or whatever and before you come and and ask:D

:confused:"I still have this voltage drop when i use the turn signals while the headlights are on"...............thats all normal:D

If you have a DVOM you can measure the resistance of the cables. Should only be a few ohms. Have you tested the battery? Stop buy your favorite parts house, they should be able to do it for you in the parking lot. Quick check the alternator by checking the voltage output while at idle and 2k.

I had the same problem. My PO put some tin foil or something on my negative terminal which was completely corroded. After removing this it started fine but after some days it wouldn't start again. Only after I spent some serious time cleaning it and ensuring a solid connection would it start reliably.

I have never had such a picky vehicle concerning the terminals. Has anyone used dielectric grease?

Allrighty then.

I just got back from having the battery replaced at Sears. Running fine, of course.

Let's see what happens in a couple of days. We are about to get a storm here in the northeast and it's pretty cold outside so I'll wait a few days before I take any resistance or voltage measurements.

Hoepfully it was only the battery but now I'm thinking about the resistance measurements on the cables. That's a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom