Is it supposed to be so rough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So what does this mean? You put ARB/OME Springs made for a FJ60 on a FJ40 and the spring rate gives a better ride? A FJ60 Lift Spring will fit an FJ40?
Yes, I put fj60 springs on a fj40. No, an fj60 lift will not fit an fj40.
Springs are longer and sure the spring mounts were moved.

The rear springs are longer, and the front ones were 10mm shorter.... If I remember correctly. Yes, the mounts were moved to the fj60 spings measurements

2 1/2” Pro Comp springs ride very well and the tires are centered in the wheel well. Add Bilstein shocks and you have a pretty good all around ride. Probably about as cheap as you will find for a lift. There are no doubt lots of combinations of shocks and springs and some better some worse perhaps but Pro Comp and Bilstein has been proven suitable.

Care to share a parts list?
Here is a copy/paste, let me know if you need anything different but this should be it.

For the lift, I ordered the components individually, used stock shackles. They are procomp 2.5” lift springs, part EXP31252 for fronts, EXP31253 for rears, EXP50090 for u bolt kit.
I used the same Bilstein 5100 series shocks at all 4 corners; 33-185606. The earlier cruisers have the shocks mounted in a higher location on the rear axle so the same shock can be used front and rear.
Frame side shackle bushings are Energy Suspension 8.2105G.

Edit to add: I ordered everything direct through 4 wheel parts at the time. If that matters.

Last edited:
Here is a copy/paste, let me know if you need anything different but this should be it.

For the lift, I ordered the components individually, used stock shackles. They are procomp 2.5” lift springs, part EXP31252 for fronts, EXP31253 for rears, EXP50090 for u bolt kit.
I used the same Bilstein 5100 series shocks at all 4 corners; 33-185606. The earlier cruisers have the shocks mounted in a higher location on the rear axle so the same shock can be used front and rear.
Can you use ARB polyurethane FJ40 bushings in the procomp springs? They should be the same fit, right?

2 1/2” Pro Comp springs ride very well and the tires are centered in the wheel well. Add Bilstein shocks and you have a pretty good all around ride. Probably about as cheap as you will find for a lift. There are no doubt lots of combinations of shocks and springs and some better some worse perhaps but Pro Comp and Bilstein has been proven suitable.

I’m not sure they are available right now. When I searched for them, they seemed to be out of stock. Not sure what’s Up with that.

As the leaves flex the length changes so they have to rub together. Reducing the friction would help smooth the ride.

Here’s an interesting write-up from Eaton:

Edit to add: I ordered everything direct through 4 wheel parts at the time. If that matters.
Thanks so much. Do you think the ride would be a bit softer with this compared to the Old Man EMU?

Thanks so much. Do you think the ride would be a bit softer with this compared to the Old Man EMU?
4WP doesn’t guarantee the manufacturer has the Springs in stock. When I wrote to ProComp today, they answered: “
I dont know any major direct retailers have this in stock on hand. We currentl have no eta on building more of these at this time. “

BTW, the Spec say their Spring Rate is 385. isn’t that in the same range as OME?

I have no experience with OME springs on a 40. I feel like I’d always read they are super stiff and that’s the reason I went the route I did. I didn’t know about Dobinsons when I did mine or I likely would’ve ponied up and got that kit based on all the great reviews on here.
I do have OME on my 60 series and it’s as soft and smooth as a pillow made of dreams and clouds…. But im not sure that’s a fair comparison.

I’m not sure they are available right now. When I searched for them, they seemed to be out of stock. Not sure what’s Up with that.
So, TransAmerica/ProComp was bought out some time back, since then there has been huge issues with inventory. I'm being told by my WD's that they are expecting this to start getting better by next month. We shall see. I can get the rears but fronts are still back ordered.

So, TransAmerica/ProComp was bought out some time back, since then there has been huge issues with inventory. I'm being told by my WD's that they are expecting this to start getting better by next month. We shall see. I can get the rears but fronts are still back ordered.

@USOffRoad or anyone else know if the Pro Comp springs are discontinued now?

I was planning on replacing my old rancho springs and shocks with the Pro Comp’s and Bilsteins but it looks like I might be having to change that plan.

I just installed my Alcan springs. They come with a sticker on the end that attaches to the shackle. The center pins are in the same location as the stock springs. I reversed the shackles on the front and asked for confirmation if that still applied and was told yes. That did not work at all because it put the long end behind the axle and pushed the axle to far forward and the bump stop was above the front edge of the u bolt plate.

Once I turned the springs around the axle is now centered under the bump stop.

@USOffRoad or anyone else know if the Pro Comp springs are discontinued now?

I was planning on replacing my old rancho springs and shocks with the Pro Comp’s and Bilsteins but it looks like I might be having to change that plan.
Check out Skyjacker if you cant get Pro Comps. They will sell just the springs and you can get free shipping too.

ProComps are no longer available. I have a set of rears but no fronts. Am going Skyjacker 4" anyway.

Pro Comp actually emailed me back surprisingly quickly stating the same thing. Their leaf springs are discontinued and would not be coming back into stock. I guess I’ll look into the skyjackers now.

Pro Comp actually emailed me back surprisingly quickly stating the same thing. Their leaf springs are discontinued and would not be coming back into stock. I guess I’ll look into the skyjackers now.
Redline Land Cruisers still has some Pro-Comp kits available.

I’m curious, is anybody done a SOA using OME 2.5” springs? I’m wondering what’s the feasibility of taking a couple leaves out to shorten the lift? My stock springs are long gone. My OMEs are broken in.
I did this and it rides great for a 40

Redline Land Cruisers still has some Pro-Comp kits available.

I'd be reluctant to purchase something that is no longer supported by the manufacturer unless it was at a decent discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom