Is it possible to determine true mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m looking at buying a 2007 100-series with a replaced cluster, TMU. Owner claims cluster died at 250K and he put a new zero one in. Is it possible to OBD scan that or anything?

Hm..

Are you able to pull up a vehicle history of some kind? I owned a POS BMW a handful of years ago with an inaccurate mileage *recorded* because someone at a dealership fat fingered the digits during a service. But, I was able to use other service records to show the accurate, lower mileage. (it had jumped like 50k in 2 months).

You may not find out the exact mileage, but you can probably get into the ballpark.

That or you need to cut the steering wheel in half to count the number of rings.

toyota has a service history web site. Any service done at dealer is recorded. And go to a dealer yourself and have them pull the history....much more detailed and complete.

Also, if the previous owner was an average owner, the dealer probably put in the new cluster, that record should show the mileage at that point,.

Sorry I should clarify - this is in the Middle East … so it’s a total mess as far as dealer history goes. While under warranty sure, but onwards .. nope. Was hoping maybe was stored in some backup ECU or something…

Is it possible to check registration histories?
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem so - I can check accident history, but weirdly, not previous owner and/or “mileage at renewal” or whatever history, despite the fact that the annual inspection actually records the mileage but it doesn’t seem like it’s verifiable anywhere. Facepalm.

I don't know what the titling or registration process is like where you are. Would you normally be required to provide accurate mileage to put tags on it?

I ask because maybe the process of tagging a TMU car there may bring you the "alternative answer" that you're ultimately looking for.

I don't know what the titling or registration process is like where you are. Would you normally be required to provide accurate mileage to put tags on it?

I ask because maybe the process of tagging a TMU car there may bring you the "alternative answer" that you're ultimately looking for.

Actually, that's a good question that I don't have an answer to - I've only seen cars sold with plates here and that means no titling, just ownership transfer. I will check into this, though. This may be the best way outside of some internal systems. Thanks for the thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom