Is it ok to engage 4wd low if it has not been engaged in several years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tone33

SILVER Star
Threads
I am going to look at a 95 LC in a couple of days - single owner, lady driven, never been off road, I don't think 4low has ever been engaged. She has had the vehicle serviced regularly. Is it safe to engage 4low without checking diff fluid or something else? I want to make sure it works before I buy, but don't want to risk breaking anything in the process.

Yes it is ok. These rigs are full time 4wd so the transfer case and front diff are working all the time. You will be just fine and it will probably have no issues. These beauties are built industrial tough.

Yup. If the rig has lockers (not sure, but you didn't specify) they'll probably take a bit of coaxing to engage. Transfer case should go into L without a problem.

Any seller pics?

Yup. If the rig has lockers (not sure, but you didn't specify) they'll probably take a bit of coaxing to engage. Transfer case should go into L without a problem.

Any seller pics?

she says it has a "locking differential" but I think it's just the center diff locker? she said it's in the middle dash - not to the left of steering wheel. sure hope it has the ff rr lockers. have pics but haven't figured out how to upload here yet...
May252011

Be sure the vehicle is not moving and is in park when you pull the transfer case into and out of low and don't drive on a hard surface; only like dirt, gravel or grass. You won't damage things if you just drive straight forward and straight back on pavement a few feet, but it will be very difficult to steer. Same if it has lockers don't drive on pavement; put the transfer in low, then once you get the CDL and ABS lights light up on the instrument cluster you can turn the dial and wait for the magic. If they lock you will feel a clunk or two and two driveline icons will go from blinking to solid. Be sure to ask about the headgasket and front end service. Good luck.

It probably just has the center diff lock
That is fine dont let that be a deal breaker
If the truck is in good mechanical condition and has been taken care of I will take that over lockers any day of the week.
Good Luck

thanks a ton for the replies! Going up there tomorrow (3hr drive) with cashiers check in hand. I've been looking for 6 months and this is by far the cleanest 80 i've seen yet that's in my budget. If everything goes well I'll post some pics once I get it home.

Sounds cool! Being a 95, if it does have the CDL button installed already, someone in the know must have done that, as it's not stock. I'm interested in hearing if this is the case...

Sounds cool! Being a 95, if it does have the CDL button installed already, someone in the know must have done that, as it's not stock. I'm interested in hearing if this is the case...

Good point I forgot about that with the 95+ cruisers

all she said was "locking differential" and it's on the center dash... could it be anything else?

edit:
think I found my answer over here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/276865-magic-button.html

tomorrow I'll find out! maybe it's my lucky week and I get full lockers :)

Last edited:
That thread refers to the CDL button that is stock in a 91-92, and can be fitted into a 93-94. I've heard some 93-94's come with these if they don't have ABS, but I can't confirm/deny that.

When the vehicle is put into L, the center diff will lock, and you'll see the yellow light come on in your gauge cluster. I realize your post indicates it's never been in low, but perhaps this is what she was talking about?

Being a 95, your CDL button would look like the attached photo (from sleeoffroad.com):
centerdiff_150.jpg

You are correct about the 93-94
Mine is a 94 without ABS and it has the centerdiff lock
But I think that 91-94 all had the center diff lock button
In the case of the OP it does not matter

Be sure the vehicle is not moving and is in park when you pull the transfer case into and out of low and don't drive on a hard surface; only like dirt, gravel or grass. You won't damage things if you just drive straight forward and straight back on pavement a few feet, but it will be very difficult to steer. Same if it has lockers don't drive on pavement; put the transfer in low, then once you get the CDL and ABS lights light up on the instrument cluster you can turn the dial and wait for the magic. If they lock you will feel a clunk or two and two driveline icons will go from blinking to solid. Be sure to ask about the headgasket and front end service. Good luck.

I'm searching around on the forums on head gasket and front end service - although not sure what this is yet. Other than obvious things (leaking fluids, funny sounds, etc.) anything in particular I can check for as I test drive it?

Mine has to be in Neutral, not park.

Agree, I always shift in neutral, if at any angle but perfectly flat, park can bind the gears, making shifting difficult to impossible.

Agree, I always shift in neutral, if at any angle but perfectly flat, park can bind the gears, making shifting difficult to impossible.

duly noted. thanks.

Should have said you can shift the transfer case in Park or Neutral. I must have gotten the good one, my transfer shifts easily in Park. :p

Maybe its a bad one and your gears just have that much play. :flipoff2:

It has lockers! And only 140k miles Bought it today for only 6300. Will post pics on another thread when I get it home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom