1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is if safe to drive with RMS leak?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by dekuiper, Jul 14, 2005.

1. dekuiper

dekuiper

My rear main seal is leaking. I have read that this is a tough job. My mechanic wants $500.

My question is along the lines of what type of damage can occur if I do not replace it yet. It is leaking pretty good - in that it leaves a small puddle of oil after each drive - but not good enough to change the fluid level on the dipstick after 3K miles.

Planning a family trip to CO the first week of August and was hoping to keep the $500 for some fun. What do you all think? Can I just keep checking the dipstick and go or are there other issues?

2. RavenTai

RavenTai

If it is not a gaping hole letting dirt in and just a minor leak and you keep up with the oil level nothing bad will happen. Mine has been leaking since I bought it 30K miles ago, I loose about a quart over 2.5K miles.

I have plans to freshen up the motor at some point, I'll fix it then.

3. Rookie2

Rookie2

FWIW, $500 sounds like a good deal for this job. If you have it done, you might suggest that your mechanic remove the retainer arch (thing that houses the rear main seal) and re-seal between it and the upper oil pan. The opinion that's been expressed here, is that more times than not, that is the source of your leak. It would be easy to do once the tranny has been pull out to change rear main seal.

:beer:
    Rookie2

4. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    switching to 0w40 synthetic ended the leak for me after i'd had it for two years.

5. Cruiser Jimmy

Cruiser Jimmy Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    dekuiper,
    Before you jump to the RMS, did you check the oil pan gasket?
    I can tell you from experience that the RMS may be a problem, but the oil pan gasket would be my first investigation and replacement. If so, then make sure you get a one piece oil pan gasket from whom ever you order it from. There's a four piece out there that will eventually leak at the aft location.

BTW, $500 to replace drop the tranny sound okay.

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Nobody has asked the obvious question here..........What are we working on here?

I suspect that it is NOT a 1FZ as the sig line of the originator does not list such a vehicle. This illustrates the importance of stating what vehicle one is trying to fix....:rolleyes:

I suspect it is a 3FE powered vehicle, in which case it most likely needs an oil pan gasket AND a rear main seal. This will require removal of the oil pan and the transmission. 500 bucks aint gonna get that job done.

D-

7. RavenTai

RavenTai

Nice catch, I was assuming 1FZ.

8. dekuiper

dekuiper

Sorry

CruiserDan - you are correct. It is the '91 FJ80 which has the 3FE. I agree that while the mechanic is in it, I will have him do all the other seals once he is in there.

Thanks for all the tips. Now back to my original question. Is it everyone's opinion that I am OK to drive to CO and back with this leak? Like I said, it is not enough to change fluid level on my dipstick between changes so it must not be as bad as Raventai's

9. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Carry plenty of oil in case it gets worse. Running low on oil = new engine$$$$$. Found that out when I was 20 when my 74FJ40 ran out of oil due to a small leak getting worse.

10. DanKunz

DanKunz SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the same thing...been that way for about 20K. Just keep it topped off until you get it fixed.

I plan on pulling my tranny and pan myself at some point. Much easier now that I have a company car :)