AltFuel Is home oil heating diesel oil the same as diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think that most inspections are made by tax auditors rather than cops. I think that most common violators that the auditors are looking for are for heavy construction machinery/trucking industry. The auditors would problably look though the log books/receipts for fuel orders and caculate if there is a short fall in expected consumption.

I thought as much. Makes total sense during an inspection when trained folks are checking everything from weight to fuel logs to hours on the road, etc.

The police in the farming communities in Canada used to carry a siphon hose and check peoples fuel, but only if they were running out of other charges or fines. The bigger problem was packing marked fuel in jerry cans or tidy tanks, there easy to check. I would be suprised if anyone on this forum has ever been checked or knows anyone who has? at least in a passenger vehicle. I would not worry about that as much as the fuel quality.
Again, because they knew that this was a possible violation in their area so they were prepared with some equipment to actually do a look see.

Thanks guys. Given what freebie has said if you run your alternate fuel in an aux tank slung under the rig seems like not likely to be much of a problem.:cheers:
Cheers

I would be suprised if anyone on this forum has ever been checked or knows anyone who has? at least in a passenger vehicle.

Over this way, it is something that is commonly accepted as being able to happen at any time. The main ones for being dipped are the HGV's and larger vehicles, to see if they are running on red diesel or the like, (it's dyed red due to its taxation rate being different, so they can easily spot it if it is being used in road going vehicles), but C&E and the police did also have a field day in certain areas with domestic vehicles when VO use started becoming more widespread. The duty laws have been relaxed now for smale scale VO users, however.

hybrids

The color red also colors your filters which can be checked quite easily. Around here the farmers and forest equipmment guys that run that fuel, which is taxed different, are the ones that are paid most attention to by the authorities.

As far as legalities I think if you're running the two tank SVO system you would have a good argument that it's simply a hybrid like the hybrid electric cars. They buy petrol just less as their rigs are supplemented by electricity. Similarily, the two tank system SVO guys are still buying diesel, just less. Then they are supplemented with another source, in this case SVO for energy, so essentially it's a hybrid.
FWIW
Aaron

I thought as much. Makes total sense during an inspection when trained folks are checking everything from weight to fuel logs to hours on the road, etc.

Thanks guys. Given what freebie has said if you run your alternate fuel in an aux tank slung under the rig seems like not likely to be much of a problem.:cheers:
Cheers

You'll probably not have a problem with it in the states, in a passenger vehicle. Only big-rigs get checked randomly - they call it "dipping" and do it at weigh stations from time to time.

There are a number of reasons why its pretty safe in a passenger vehicle, provided you don't live in an agricultural area.
  • The check is called a "dip" because, well, they "dip" a cup on a stick into the tank and pull it out to check the color. This is easy on saddle tanks as the cap is enormous, but its nearly impossible on a passenger car/truck.
  • Police need probable cause to pull over a passenger vehicle for an individual check (non road block), suspicion of red fuel doesn't cut it.
There are a bunch of "dipping" posts on diesel forums. Note that there are some stories of them dipping pickup truck in high density agricultural areas, like at grain elevators, and some people report that they've seen roadblocks. Personally, I never have, and the difficulty in screening out the diesel vehicles makes me think it might be apocryphal.

Red fuel? - Page 4 - Diesel Place
Off Road Diesel - TurboDodge.Com - Turbo Dodge forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Daytona, SRT-4, PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

How much does home heating oil cost compared with road diesel? I don't have a house, just a 60, so I don't know... :)

Home heating oil is less expensive than diesel fuel at the pump.

I live in Quebec, and bio-diesel is LEGAL. I buy it and get a refund of 16 cents per liter from the government. The refund is to encourage environmentally friendly fuel.

When heating a home with oil, if your tank is outside, they use winter-grade (lower cloud point). Same as in the vehicles. The service stations (gas stations) use thinner fuel in winter.

I use up to 20% bio in winter, and I thin it with straight-up kerosene (which I buy on native territory). If I mix kerosene in the fuel, I can use more BD.

i have been dipped for red fuel in my commercial truck a couple times, but never in the cruiser. all it is is a length of clear plastic tube, they drop it in, cover it with a thumb and just pull it up enough to see the color of the fuel, then they release it back in your tank.

i have been dipped for red fuel in my commercial truck a couple times, but never in the cruiser. all it is is a length of clear plastic tube, they drop it in, cover it with a thumb and just pull it up enough to see the color of the fuel, then they release it back in your tank.

Do you have saddle tanks on your commercial truck or did they actually try to run the tube all down through a filler neck into a tank slung under the rig?

Home heating oil is less expensive than diesel fuel at the pump.

I live in Quebec, and bio-diesel is LEGAL. I buy it and get a refund of 16 cents per liter from the government. The refund is to encourage environmentally friendly fuel.

When heating a home with oil, if your tank is outside, they use winter-grade (lower cloud point). Same as in the vehicles. The service stations (gas stations) use thinner fuel in winter.

I use up to 20% bio in winter, and I thin it with straight-up kerosene (which I buy on native territory). If I mix kerosene in the fuel, I can use more BD.

Can you give me more informations about this 16 cents refund and where you get your Biodiesel? I'd be interested to try Biodiesel in my BJ60.

Hi, riadh. I get the biodiesel from Rolgquo in Baie d'Urfé, 514-457-4222. They are licensed to collect used/waste vegetable oil, and also licensed to produce biodiesel. The bio license is required for them to give you a receipt that the government will accept for the rebate.

The rebate form is at: CA-10.BI-V Application for a Refund in Respect of Biodiesel Fuel

I applied a few weeks ago for the rebate, and it has not arrived yet.

Rolfquo's price was/is $1.36/litre. There are some local guys (south shore included) that sell for less, not licensed, quality may be inferior. Rolfquo's finished product has the antifungus stuff, etc.

riadh, it is useful if you live in Quebec! Glad to find someone who is interested. I feel like a freak in a sideshow trying to explain why my truck makes the mechanics hungry (it smells like a restaurant).

Do you have saddle tanks on your commercial truck or did they actually try to run the tube all down through a filler neck into a tank slung under the rig?

i have saddle tanks. i'm sure they would go down a neck if they wanted to, but non commercial trucks get away with everything thats why i wouldnt worry about what fuel someone runs in a private rig, it'll never get checked.

I live in an area where there's a lot of active logging. The state cops will dip test diesel pickup trucks with aux transfer tanks in the bed. Lots of guys have aux tanks to fuel their skidders and logging equipment which is perfectly legal. (You can buy off-road diesel at many pumps in the area.) You can't run the red stuff in the truck's tank though. I think the fine is $10,000.

Couldn't you claim that you have accurately measured the fuel mileage your truck gets, and that you were driving an offroad stretch and put in the exactly corresponding quantity of marked fuel?

Nope. The red die sticks around for far too long. You're not allowed to have it in the fuel system of a vehicle registered for on-road use. State law is pretty specific in that regard to remove any gray areas for potential abuse. The only exception that I know of is construction/farm equipment with rubber tires like large front-end loaders and tractors. They are required to be registered and have license plates for on-road use but are allowed to run off-road diesel since they spend 99% of their lives off-road. It is possible to register a pickup truck with farm plates in Maine. I wonder if that would meet the exception too? I'll have to look that up.

BTW, I think that home heating oil has a higher sulfur content than diesel. It won't matter in our diesel Cruisers but it will really mess up a modern diesel with a DPF.

I think home heating oil has a max sulfur content of 5000 ppm. Low sulfur diesel is 500 ppm. Ultra-low sulfur diesel is 15 ppm.

Huh... I hope I haven't driven through any countries that dye all their fuel red, and then get tested going back up through the states. It doesn't seem very likely, but who knows? Maybe one could claim that??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom