Is H55 in my BJ45 a simple swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not if your tranny is in good shape. If your clutch needs to be replaced then you will want the clutch kit as well as the rear main seal to replace since you'll be in there. You may also want to refresh the tranny mount (isolator) of yours is delaminating.

Not if your tranny is in good shape. If your clutch needs to be replaced then you will want the clutch kit as well as the rear main seal to replace since you'll be in there. You may also want to refresh the tranny mount (isolator) of yours is delaminating.
My H55xfer case was also inspected and repaired by Georg so its in top shape. Ultimately the BJ45 getting its new rebuilt 3B which would be best time to swap new clutch. Now I am just trying to get some things accomplished lessening how much I have to haul back to Oklahoma.

@swamp-thing

Getting close to having to do this. Seems like I am getting a few mixed signals between pretty simple swap to "unpossible" which makes me think impossible to do with engine still on mounts which seems to be on 2 ends of the spectrum.

Appreciate everyone's responses. The H55/xfer case are together, rebuilt by Georg's shop. Appropriate top plate so not worried there. Stock BJ45 from the Netherlands.

Anyone able to provide guidance either way? Thanks again

You can do it.

All of the stuff that we've all mentioned is stuff to be considered.

Your gearboxes are in great shape; if @orangefj45 rebuilt this stuff, it's unquestionable.

If you *want* to replace the clutch and rear main seal while you're in there, great (and I would... since you're in there... especially if you don't know the condition of it - if you were driving it with this clutch before, just run it, you'll know where it is and how to change it later if you need to).

Getting a gearbox and txfr on an engine that is in the vehicle is just a matter of geometry. Jack it up, or lift it with an engine hoist extended in through a door, or use some ratchet straps or a chain hoist on a 2x4 across the doors,... there are a dozen ways to finagle a gearbox/input shaft into the clutch/flywheel. It might be annoying, but it's totally doable.

Guys who work on trans/txfr cases do not pull the engine to get the gearboxes out. It's doable. People remove their transfer cases from the trans from under the truck. Again, doable. Get after it. You'll be happy when that input shaft slides into the pilot bearing!

Good luck,
TDC.-

@greenbeast if you have a hoist and a good jack that can lift moderately high and roll around (like a tranny jack or long arm automotive jack) you can get the tranny in by yourself. Little adjusting as you go back and forth between the host hanging the tranny and the jack lifting the transfer for the correct stabbing angle. I'll PM you my info if you want to ask questions. I've done it at least 4 times in my BJ44.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom