Is dealer fibbing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had new antenna installed on a '97 80 by Toyota dealer. It seems to work except that when you push the manual "down" button on interior dash, the antenna does not fully retract. It stops at about 3-4''. I seem to remember that my original antenna (before it malfunctioned) used to go all the way down using the manual down button. Antenna DOES fully retract when turning stereo off -- just not when using manual down button.

Dealer tells me this is normal and is functioning properly (designed that way).

Can anyone with a '97 let me know if this is how theirs works? Thanks.

The dealer is cheating :mad:

It has to fully retract either way.

Mike

The dealers full of $hit. My 97 LX450 antenna fully retracts using the manual down button. I use the up and down button to set the desirable height of the antenna for when I use the radio power buttons.

-J

Did the dealer install a new antenna (charged on an invoice) or did they just get the old one working again? I ask this, b/c it's weird that if new that it wouldn't go down all the way...My dealer wouldn't even replace the mast assembly...they would only replace the whole motor/mast assembly....for almost $500. *edit*: reread your post after posting mine...you said it DOES fully retract when not using the radio....then it is working correctly. My '97 does the same thing....

If it's a new mast that the dealer installed, perhaps they didn't open up the motor to remove all the old pieces of plastic...

There's some good instructions on how to do this yourself...only about a 45 min job and I'm only a single :banana: type of DIY'er. If it were me in your situation and I needed a new antenna, I wouldn't reward your dealership w/ your business...There's a more trustworthy, client friendly dealer online.

Good Luck

There's a more trustworthy, client friendly dealer online.

Who is that :D :D

Mike

I just went and looked at 2 cruisers 93 & 94--BOTH retract all the way down..Your dealer is full of $hit

I replaced my mast a while back and it acts the same way. Leaves about 3-4 inches when the radio is on, retracts all the way when off. With a CD in, it goes all the way down. I think this is normal...after all, who would have their radio on but not have the antenna up at least a bit?

I don't ever recall it going all the way down using the manual button with the radio on...not that I ever recall trying this though.

Tom

[glow=black,2,2] Ah .. my antenna has never completely retracted ! I have a Jensen double din radio that was dealer installed , with the exception of the blue antenna power wire , which I did myself . And by dealer I meant the lot I bought it off .. so in essence , a stereo shop in Houston .

If there is indeed a fix for this I would be interested . My FM signals are pretty good , but in the past they have included much static . Perhaps the antenna not fully retracting is a symptom of something else ... ideas ?[/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

Crazy,

The 97 model antenna has different functions than 91-96 models do. It raises the antenna partially when the radio is powered up. The earlier ones do not. I can't remember if the switch will send it all the way down. Kallen has mentioned that the antenna fully retracts when he shuts the radio off. That would indicate to me that the mast/body interface is correct.

Paging the Wulf or Tyler.......Go check yer antenna operation for us. (I'd ask Junk but his is probably smashed :flipoff2: )

EDIT: While I was drafting this response Tyler and Tom chimed in. Based on Tom's observations I'd say the antenna is operating as it should.

[glow=black,2,2]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh , sorry . *wiping saliva off the keys ...* I must have dozed off waiting for this page to come up :-\ .

Let me be a little clearer Dan . My antenna does indeed fully retract upon stereo shutdown , however with the radio on , the manual down button will retract it to within 3-4" of fully down only . This makes me a 'lil nervous at the car wash sometimes , and I wuss out and shut it down ... :'( [/glow]

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

[quote author=T Y L E R link=board=2;threadid=10535;start=msg94574#msg94574 date=1074887187]
[glow=black,2,2]Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh , sorry . *wiping saliva off the keys ...* I must have dozed off waiting for this page to come up :-\ .

Let me be a little clearer Dan . My antenna does indeed fully retract upon stereo shutdown , however with the radio on , the manual down button will retract it to within 3-4" of fully down only . This makes me a 'lil nervous at the car wash sometimes , and I wuss out and shut it down ... :'( [/glow]

[/quote]

Okay, then it seems this is normal and we guys who can retract it all the way down with the manual button when the radio is on have a problem :'(

Mike

MIGHT be a 97 quirk,if i recall correctly someone stated that the parts are slightly different for a 97 than for the previous years.

my 96 DOES retract all the way down with the buttons,but its function is entirely manual ie: no uppy/downy when the radio is turned on/off,and thats the factory way(for my 96)

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST THE "MAN" HIMSELF BEAT ME TO THE CORRECT ANSWER :D

goodluck

doug

All,

Mine ('97) does not go all the way down when the radio on as well. It's designed that way (which make sense to me).

Frank.

That's a bizarre feature. The reason Toyota stuck with the fully manual electric antenna was that when offroading or in a carwash the owner can listen to a CD/Cassette with the antenna fully retracted. I wasn't there for '97, but cannot imagine what function a 4 inch antenna would serve. When the antenna is fully down, you can still listen to the FM band as there is another antenna in the glass. The 4 inch antenna would not be enough to add AM listening. So, why would this be? Strange. Are you guys at 100% 97 models that will not retract fully with the manual buttons, or does someone own a 97 that will retract?

DougM

To add to this soup - my 96 LX450 will not let you retract the antenna beyond the final 4" when the radio is selected on the stock stereo. It does fully retract upon tape or CD selection or complete power down.

you know we're running pretty decent rigs when this is a point of concern amongst users -- thank God it's not "how do I replace my broken drive-shafts??" --

:)

e

>> my 96 LX450 will not let you retract the antenna beyond the final 4" when the radio is selected on the stock stereo. It does fully retract upon tape or CD selection or complete power down. <<

This is the normal behaviour for late '96 through early 100 series (maybe to current)

I would go out and double check but I jinxed myself a few weeks ago by commenting on the antennas and DIY repair being easy. Mine broke within a few days.

BTW Dan, have you ordered me the mast? I ordered while you were undergoing rabies treatment so maybe you forgot. :D

-B-

[quote author=lizardking100 link=board=2;threadid=10535;start=msg94633#msg94633 date=1074894843]
Are his lips moving?
[/quote]

:mad:

The dealer is correct.

Syrinxtar,

The 96 LX450 has the same antenna as the 97 80. yours works as intended.

B-,

I didn't have to order one for you, I stock them..... ;)

>> I stock them..... <<

I know you stock all the parts for a '93 but remember, the masts are different for the '97. :D

-B-
(FYI, your guys had to order one for me the last time it broke...)

PORT 6044 ATOY-I PARTS DISPLAY (P) 23JAN04 3:41
Invoice: Sale Type:
Customer:
Name: Parts:
Address: Freight:
City,St Zip: Tax:
Home Phone: Total Invoice:
Add'l Info:
Emp Salesperson Ship Via PO B/L
PART-NO........ O.H. BIN. LIST... .. SALE.... O.O. PNC............
86337-60080 2 M016 45.44 45.44 1

Well, I got 'em now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom