is bigger better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just wondering what the benifits are of going with a 15, 16, 16.5, or 17 inch rim.
i know that availability is one thing for certain tires, but lets say the tire you want is available in several sizes.
are tall sidewalls better then not?
lets assume this is going on an all around trail vehicle.
probably going to be bias ply.

Was a great write up about this topic in the latest trails by Nolan...

FWIW- My 15/42-15 Swampers have a lot of sidewall flex when aired down to 5psi, but I weigh in at 6K, I am not competing, and they have worked great for me for a few years now...

Dont forget 20's and 22's...

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=13541;start=msg125363#msg125363 date=1080003349]

Dont forget 20's and 22's...

[/quote]

Don't forget the bling, bling factor with the 20/22's. :D

Was a great write up about this topic in the latest trails by Nolan...

link for this?
any other thoughts out there?

Well, a higher wall means more flex and more flex means a softer ride but more body roll around corners. To the extreme, a low profile tire means little to no flex, harsh ride and on a 40 would be like driving a 49 Pan chopper i.e. a real liver killer. I have heard of guys running 16's on their 40 and state the handling was improved. If you look at todays truck market, most are running 16 and 17 stock wheels. I think this is certainly a reflection on the need for truck owners to have good handling on the roads since many trucks are used in non work related activities. But here is the thing, you have to have a suspension that is in excellent working condition to really see the benefits of any tire change when performance is in mind. I do not think it would matter much on a stock 40 set up except in the case of a low profile and then it would be just awful.

I've been tossing it around for weeks. I'll be 4" SUA, maybe trim the rear fenders, looking at 34" or 35" tires. One benefit of 16" rims is you get into D and E load ranges (8 and 10 ply) versus C range (6 ply) on 15" rims. But you also pay more.

An FJ40 doesn't weigh enough to require E tires IMHO. The extra toughness would be a benefit for resistance to punctures etc. but the tradeoff would be less flexibility?

Fewer concerns over caliper and TRE clearance with 16"? but not a problem with the correct 15" wheels.

I'm 90% decided on 15x8s. Plenty of availability in 15" for the tires I'm looking at.

HTHBNSIID (hope this helps but not surpised if it doesn't :D )

what tire size are you planning?

My next set is likely 39.5 IROKS on a 20" rim. IMO, sidewall shift is a bad thing, and my 38.5's shift a lot on 15's. 17's would be nicer for a 37-38" tire, 35-36 is fine with a 15-16" rim.

Plus, with my rustoleum paint, I need all the added bling I can get...

i'm thinking no less then a 38" tire.
also looking for a fat (wide) tire too, if that makes a difference.

for 38" plus, spring for 17's....20's if the tire you like is out there now.

I regret spending a pile of $$$ for my beadlocks and almost immediately wishing for 17" rims....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom