Is anyone running front and rear automatic diffs? (Lokka, Lunchbox, etc.) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To @BILT4ME point most trails have descent traction which means you can't turn!

It's only good for extreme low traction situations, even if you do rock crawling, once you hit a smooth rock section then you can't turn!

The theme is .....you can't turn! Hahaha

Aussies work really well and was a super easy install. My bro had one in the rear of his 62 and you almost never noticed it was there on the road. Obviously helped a ton off road as well.

As far as auto up front, thats a no go unless its a full time wheeler. The second you turn that front locker on the chances on breaking the front axle components increases drastically. I'd rather make the decision to blow up those birfs myself than have an auto locker do it for me

As others have said, I would recommend starting with just a rear locker and see how that goes. If you feel the need for a front locker, save the cash and go selectable. A rear locker will get you lots of places. I only need my front locker during the most difficult rock climbs. With the front locked, turning becomes very difficult which is why you only use it when you really need it.

For example, I don't think I could have done this without a front locker:

Whereas in this climb, I did have the front locker on but probably could have been done with only the rear locker just as easily

To @BILT4ME point most trails have descent traction which means you can't turn!

It's only good for extreme low traction situations, even if you do rock crawling, once you hit a smooth rock section then you can't turn!

The theme is .....you can't turn! Hahaha

Good point!
In HIGH traction situations you break stuff, especially when trying to turn! (I'm from a MUD background and haven't done much in the rocks.....yet)

Just to echo what a lot of people are saying in regular old real life situations, the lunchbox auto lockers will lock up on their own, whenever "needed," so the dilemma is everyday winter driving in snow or ice on the highway, not so much even when out on the rocks. Cruising in snow when out on the roads in winter time, hit some ice, lockers auto engage, no more steer. Like most have said, biggest issue in the front axle of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom