Is alternator hefty enough to charge camper battery?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, all. I took my popup camper to Yellowstone two days ago and wasn't quite ready for the 20 degree temps at night. The furnace is quickly draining the battery down. I don't have the 12v pin on the trailer plug connected yet, but will before we move to a different campground tomorrow.

My question is, is the factory alternator big enough to put a good charge into the popup at all?

I think your biggest obstacle would be the small gauge wire running to your trailer. Usually it draws just enough amps to top off your battery during a long drive. Have you considered a 12v solar charger? Trickle charge it all day... Buying one would probably be cheaper than all the gas you would burn trying to charge it with your rig :-D

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Yep, it'll do it. Just let 'er idle with the jumper cables safely connected.

Be cautious about the build up of offgassing from charging if it's cold and you've got things tight to keep the heat in. That's no time to have a hydrogen explosion, be sure things are vented around the battery and remember hydrogen is lighter than air.

I hate to say it since I'm cheap. But, buy a big propane buddy heater or a small generator or run a heavy enough cable to charge a dead battery.

More people will chime in on why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom