Is a Temporary Gas Tank Feasible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All

I’ve been lurking for a few weeks. I acquired a 1979 FJ40 in early October that I plan to restore. I’ve wanted one ever since I was a teenage which was more than several decades ago.

This is a great site and I expect I’ll be visiting it often to ask for your help.

I’ve seen plenty of FJ40’s over the years and this one seems in remarkably “original” condition with rust in all of the usual places. The exception being a gun rack that one of the two PO’s drilled through the top to mount. Having said that I’ve only been able to drive it for a couple of blocks because the gas tank is so full of crud that it clogs the fuel line and in-line filter and I don’t want to risk the crud making it into the carb.

I spent two delightful days under the cruiser earlier this week and managed to get the gas tank out of it. Before going hog wild on the restoration I’d like to be able to drive it a little so I can get a better feel for what mechanically might need attention. I’m fairly certain that I’m going to replace the tub on it and if possible I’d like to wait and put the gas tank back in it at that time.

So here is my 1st question:

Without doing anything stupid or terribly dangerous is it possible to rig a temporary +/- 5 gallon tank to it so I can drive it for test purposes? I’ve found several small tanks used for boats that caught my eye. I could secure the tank inside the cruiser and connect to the fuel lines through the fuel gauge sender access panel.

Below is a link to the tank that caught my eye. If you follow this link and go to the product FAQ’s there is a question about venting. I assume the short tube on the cruiser’s gas tank suction tube assembly is for venting. Do you think I would also need to connect that cruiser’s vent tube line to the temporary tank as well?

Moeller Marine EPA- Compliant Topside Fuel Tank — 6 Gallons, Low Profile, Model# 620049LP | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment

I’ll stop here and look forward to your feedback.

Here are a couple of pictures of my cruiser.

Left Front.jpg
Left Side Close Up.jpg

I've done it in other vehicles with a boat tank. Not the safest I'm sure -most important thing-STRAP IT DOWN. Lots of weight flying if you make a hard maneuver and 6 gallons pouring out if it tips over. They are out in boats so It's not the worst thing you could do.

If your talking around the block then sure. If talking about hwy use every day etc I wouldnt.

It's 4 bolts to remove the seat? Pull it out, fix it proper and then put it back in. I wouldn't advise
the temporary thing, its' a gas tank.
Not to mention if you rig some half assed thing up, you'll never know if the next problem isn't related
or couldn't be fixed with the tank being an unknown.
Next to the motor you got to have one. Besides, down the road it's
that one less thing you will need to do. Really nice looking rig, and very original. Have fun, remember
always - lots of pics.

PS Does that sticker really read 'Cheetah'?? HaHa! on a Land Cruiser

I've known others who've done it. Secured to the floor should be safe enough.

Why not just clean/replace/repair your tank and reinstall it?

I pulled my tank every weekend when I was rebuilding my floor. It was a bit of a pain to do a parts run because it was my only vehicle, and parts were 20 minutes away on the highway.

It's 4 bolts to remove the seat? Pull it out, fix it proper and then put it back in. I wouldn't advise
the temporary thing, its' a gas tank.
Not to mention if you rig some half assed thing up, you'll never know if the next problem isn't related
or couldn't be fixed with the tank being an unknown.
Next to the motor you got to have one. Besides, down the road it's
that one less thing you will need to do. Really nice looking rig, and very original. Have fun, remember
always - lots of pics.

PS Does that sticker really read 'Cheetah'?? HaHa! on a Land Cruiser

his truck is a 79.... the gas tank is not under the seat and it is a little bit trickier to get to and replace. i say strap down the temporary tank and drive around. This is not really an issue imo. Heck it isn't even illegal.... most likely.

Or, if $$$ is not too big of problem, buy a rear aux. tank from Downey or Marks O.R., install it for use now and forever, then when stock tank has been rebuilt, reinstall if for double the capacity, no????? Or, just keep using the larger capacity rear aux. tank as your one and only tank, and don't spend $$$ rebuilding the original tank.

Sorry, I am so used to old junk, not new junk! My old junk anyways, HaHa! I have used a rear tank on my FJ40,
that is a very good idea. My experience has taught me that these temporary things have a way of being a lot my
long term.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply. To be clear the tank is under the cruiser not the seat. The only reason I'm considering a temporary tank is because it was a royal pain in the you know what to get out. Since I'm pretty sure I'm going to be replacing the pan I'm trying to avoid putting the tank back in only to have to take it back out later and then put it back in again. I already have a new tank so a temporary tank would truly be temporary.

It really does say Cheetah on the side. I was told the stripes were put on it at the dealership when it was first sold. I was also told it was part of a "Safari Edition" but my search for a safari edition didn't turn up anything.

I still have a unanswered question regarding a temporary tank. There are two tubes in the FJ40 tank's fuel suction assembly. One long tube for the fuel pickup that connects to the in-line fuel filter and a second much shorter tube that runs directly to/from the pump to suction assembly. Since I don't the the exact purpose of the 2nd tube -- does the line running from the shorter tube to/from the fuel pump need to be hooked up to the "temporary" tank or can it be left to vent to the atmosphere? Obviously, if it is returning vapor to the tank I don't want it venting to the atmosphere.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to crash anything with a temporary tank inside the truck. Even if you are lucky enough not to have a fire, an un-restrained/poorly restrained object with that much mass inside the passenger compartment is deadly. Smashed and burned does not sound fun.

There was an old timer that worked mining claims in the Bradshaw mountains near Crown King that was driving around , for years, may still be,..
in a rover that had it's tank punctured in a roll over. He strapped some random fuel tank to the roof rack and used gravity to feed the carb. He seemed to get around the back roads just fine...so, I'd say you'd be fine as long as you use common sense

Strap a boat tank down and give er man. The tank is inside the tub on the older cruisers so putting a temp one inside and STRAPPING it down so its secure shouldnt be an issue. If youre just diddling around the neighbourhood you wont need that much gas in the thing anyways.

My cruiser has the in the tub tank but also had 2 lines. One feeds the carb and the other is a return. Dont k ow if that applies to the newer ones like yours though.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom