Is a hood-mounted tire carrier available? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an 1997 LX450. I am arranging to strip away all things pink.

I strongly dislike having the spare tire beneath the truck. I've always thought the Defender series method of having a dished/recessed hood with spare tire mounted within it to be an efficient method of using space.

Mounting a spare tire on factory (OEM) LX450/fzj80 hoods would be difficult-to-impossible because the [Defender's] recess is not present.

Does anyone make a replacement (after-market) hood that either accepts a hood-mounted tire carrier, or makes a hood-with-carrier after market?
Sp%2520carr%2520bonn%252022.jpg

Attachments

• Bonnet4249.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 176.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 981
Get a rear bumper w/ tire carrier, or a Kaymar rear tire carrier (uses stock bumper).

It isn't a damned land rover... :doh:

Naphtali said:
I just bought an 1997 LX450. I am arranging to strip away all things pink.
Congrats on the purchased :D :flipoff2: by the way let me know if you are going to strip the rear factory bumper ( I need the right rear section ) How much? Pic available?Also mount the spare tire on the hood :confused: dont you think it gonna bother your view later on, or what if some small car ( mini cooper ) stop right in front of you...

Thinking about some of the tires sizes, some of the guys run I can help but laugh a little trying to visualize an 80 with a 37x12.5" tire on the hood. I'd put the tire on a swing out in the rear, inside the rig, or on the roof.

Sam

Naphtali said:
Does anyone make a replacement (after-market) hood that either accepts a hood-mounted tire carrier, or makes a hood-with-carrier after market?

Repost!! :D

Jim Phillips posed this question several years ago.... I suggested that an 80 with a 35" tyre on the bonnet would look goofy and that checking the oil would take a lot of effort and upper body strength.

We discussed the possibilities in this thread from the SOR archives

lw0010.jpg

-B-

ho hum. you obviously don't remember my "rovota" hood. I'll see if I can post a photo tomorrow. The driver postion and hood orientation make a hood mounted spare well...pretty much ludicrous for an 80 series. Works great for rovers though.....raising the bonnet or hood or whatever you want to call the piece that covers the engine bay is def. harder with the tyre/tire (round rubber thing with air in it) on there...

I'm a big fan of the old chevy tugboat style.........

As long as its on an old chevy. :D

BTW, that's me in Iraq center standing

KliersLC said:
I'm a big fan of the old chevy tugboat style.........

As long as its on an old chevy. :D

how much difference would it make when going uphill to move 100 lbs of tire and wheel and whatever else from the rear bumper to the front bumper?
improved weight distribution? improved traction?
front bumper mount also should be lighter as it doesnt have to swing away for tailgate access
but then there is that whole thing about covering the radiator with your tire

Ive been thinking about front bumper mount for some time....

lucky for me I have a limited budget that prevents me from doing even one percent of the halfbaked crap I dream up

Jim_Phillips and *stayalert:

Other than not being available and additional weight of tire [assembly], what are problems associated with on-hood tire mount? Or is that enough grief?

The grill/front tire mount looks interesting as it looks kludgy.
I'm a blank page regarding where to mount spear tire -- my Trooper, Scout II, and Bronco II all had side-swinging carriers at rear. They worked, but the assembly sometimes got in the way when using the cargo hatch.

Underneath mounting seems to be a problem waiting to happen -- sidewall gets abraded, or you cannot jack the truck enough to get to the tire.
LX_TREME: As quickly as I get a replacement, the rear bumper becomes available. How quickly? Dunno.

It appears the hood on a 80 is higher in relation to the windshield than on a old rover, I placed a box that is the same as the width of my stocker tires, on the hood, to see what it would look like from the drivers seat, it blocks your vision considerably, try it, you'll see what I mean. It would be worse with larger tires too.

Beowulf said:
Repost!! :D

Jim Phillips posed this question several years ago.... I suggested that an 80 with a 35" tyre on the bonnet would look goofy and that checking the oil would take a lot of effort and upper body strength.

We discussed the possibilities in this thread from the SOR archives

lw0010.jpg

-B-

Hell, I still remember the electrically controller hydraulic rear tire carrier.

GD British :cheers:

here's the underside of a "deluxe dished bonnet"

and the rovota :rolleyes: That mod lasting about as long as my antenna mounted axwel breather :D
rovota cropped.jpg
bonnet underside.jpg

The lines of the LC do not lend themselves well to a tire on the hood.

Kalawang

Given the size and weight, I think that you are just asking for trouble with any kind of hood mount. The forces at play in any kind of front end collision would likely bring a fair degree of grief to those in the front (and back) seats.

Do a search for some of the significant accident pics of 80's and decide if this is really where you want a tire mounted. Given that there are very good internal mounting options (eg using the 3rd seat mounting points), and rear mount options that have proven themselves globally, why bother reinventing the wheel - no pun intended?!

Cheers, Hugh

The tire carrier on the hood looks great on old syle african rovers but the LX450 is a stretch. I guess since you have a sun roof you can pop your head out like a ground hog to see where you are going, :doh:

Not hijack you thread but what about on top.
There is a sweet old early 80's wagoneer in my town and the guy has a tan paint matched hard case for his spare tire on the roof.

fzj80kidpen said:
Not hijack you thread but what about on top.
There is a sweet old early 80's wagoneer in my town and the guy has a tan paint matched hard case for his spare tire on the roof.

Im a manly man, but I must admit that its a long way up there

and those "sum beaches" are heavy

Rusty Phillips said:
Im a manly man, but I must admit that its a long way up there

and those "sum beaches" are heavy
Don't be a total wuss. Heather Hocker tosses her own tires up on her 80 roof - at least she used to. It's just not a great idea to raise your center of gravity etc.

May as well use some carriage bolts and bolt it to the door :D

This is one reason why most end up with a rear tire carrier or put it inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom