Is a front locker necessary...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
At some point I would like to install a locker or lockers my 96.

My question is this, what are the pros and cons on a detroit locker verses an ARB...... and, does an 80 need a front locker if there is one in the rear.

Wayne S :cheers:

It depends on what you're doing with the truck. Some kind of traction device would be good. An option to a locker is a limited slip. I beleive Auburn makes one for the LC. I haven't done a lot of wheeling with my locked 80 but with the front locked the truck doesn't repond to steering input anywhere near what you would expect. In both deep snow and sand I noticed a tendency to want to go straight especially when on the throttle a little. I think the LSD would work better in thiose situations.

If you have a rear locker, you'll go much farther then you would with out any. If you have a locked front and rear, you'll be able to go far enough to get yourself into serious trouble. What I mean by this is, it all depends on how hard you are going to wheel your vehicle. My buddy has an auto locker in the rear of his 4runner and he can go where ever I can go in my 80. I havent encountered a situation where I was desparate for traction and really really needed a locked front. It helps alot, but I could have gone where ever I needed with just the rear locked. Except for the mulligan, but that was mud and mud is bad. So basically just figgure out how hard a wheeling your going to do, and that should determine if you need a locked front. And my recomendation would be rock sliders and some good armor way before a locked front.

-Bryan

> what are the pros and cons on a detroit locker verses an ARB.

Depends. An auto locker can work well off road and become a nightmare on road in certain situations. Freezing rain is the first thing that comes to mind. I like the ability to choose open or locked at my discretion. You would never put an auto locker in the front of a full time 4WD vehicle that sees pavement.

> and, does an 80 need a front locker if there is one in the rear.

No, but it's nice to have. That being said, I have never been in a situation (yet) where I was unable to climb with the center and rear locked and magically made it over when I locked the front. I have found that if she's a no-go with the rear locked it's time to find another line or let some more air out of the tires.

While for the most part I agree with Doggie, the pic below tells the story of why you may want a front locker. This pic is a little deceiving as it's wet and there is a stump on the rear ds tire that it has to climb the same time as the rock. I had just climbed right up this, but the Old Man couldn't get up without a front locker. The following season he got the front ARB.

And yes, I have been in situations where I needed the front to get over something. I seem to remember seeing Doggie need it to, such as last year, but I ozzy need to remind him. :slap: :slap: :slap: :D

Donnolockerinfront_jpg.jpg

From this picture I don't see how the rear could have a locker. If he did have a rear locker that would mean the rear tires would be spinning as fast as that smoking front tire. I would expect to see a rooster tail from the rear passenger tire if that was the case. Am I missing something here? Maybe the center diff isn't locked? Maybe the picture is deceiving? Maybe all the tires are stopped and the smoke is lingering which makes it look like the front passenger tire is moving?

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=12715;start=msg117068#msg117068 date=1078726506]
From this picture I don't see how the rear could have a locker. If he did have a rear locker that would mean the rear tires would be spinning as fast as that smoking front tire. I would expect to see a rooster tail from the rear passenger tire if that was the case. Am I missing something here? Maybe the center diff isn't locked? Maybe the picture is deceiving? Maybe all the tires are stopped and the smoke is lingering which makes it look like the front passenger tire is moving?
[/quote]

looks to me that the center isn't even locked.

Back tire looks like it is spinning to me , just because it isn't on bare rock causing it to smoke? Look at the rear rim, looks like it is spinning to me. If the rear tires are in some slightly damp stuff the tire won't smoke till it gets hot enough, like the front.

Yomama

My initial thought on the picture is it would that maybe it was time to shed some air and ease up on the skinny pedal.

I'm currently unlocked. I'm going to do the rear this weekend. Would love to have the front too, but it isn't in the budget.

Saturday I was out with some friends and he had to use both his front and his rear locker to get up a climb. And he really did need both. After he made it up, I made it up without any lockers. He was running more tire pressure than me, I think that is the big difference for what happened. He drives a 94 with OME mediums and a bullbar and 285/75/16 BFG ATs. I was driving my 91 with Js and 35x12.50x15 BFG MTs. Tires may have had a little to do with it but I'm still leaning towards the air pressure idea.

All 4 tires spinning while paddling through deep snow makes a HUGE difference also, Brad.

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=12715;start=msg117466#msg117466 date=1078788103]
All 4 tires spinning while paddling through deep snow makes a HUGE difference also, Brad.
[/quote]

Yes being locked makes you sink quicker. I've actually found that in most snow situations I've been better unlocked than locked. My previous Cruiser had ARBs so I had a choice. I have to admit I'm real gun shy about driving in a situation with the front locked where there is wheel spin involved. I'm scared of breaking a birf if it suddenly catches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom