Is a 60 mph speedometer useable on a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 10/69 40 with a 327 sbc rolling 33's and stock 4.11's. It is not remotely highway-worthy (yet) and I have yet to drive it on a highway and don't have a clue how fast it will go.

I'm looking to replace the existing aftermarket speedometer and really like the look of the military speedometers. However, they only read to 60 mph. Is that even a useful range for a 40? I certainly don't need a 140 mph speedo, but I am a little concerned that being blind above 60 might be a drawback. I would love an 80 mph speedo, but they all look to hot-rod for my taste.

My ultimate goal is to get the truck back in shape for mixed around town/trail use. It will see some highway use (primarily to and from camp). Should I grab the speedo or keep looking for something that reads a little higher.

Last edited:
I used the Arctic White gauges from Auto Meter, and I like the look. The speedometer does go to 120 mph which is excessive for a FJ40, but I do drive mine at 60+ mph at times.

One thing I did do was to ditch the mechanical cable in favor of electric pulse input. The biggest advantage of that was how simple it is to change the calibration of the speedometer. I started out with a 33 inch tire and calibrated the speedometer to that. Then when I went to 36 in tires it was a simple recalibration and my speedometer was right on.

60 won't be enough. I was pushing 70 in my 2F FJ40 this morning all the way to work.

Yes, just don't go over 60.

you might check the scooter offerings out there for some4thing different. there are some cool vespa square speedos out there.

I thought you were joking until I checked on eBay- some of the scooter speedo's are pretty cool looking

60 won't be enough. I was pushing 70 in my 2F FJ40 this morning all the way to work.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I really want to use a military speedo with Moal Bomber series fuel/temp/oil/volt meters.

Classic Instruments makes a matching 200 mph Bomber series speedometer , but that would look silly on a 40. (Of course, for a measly $400 Classic will make me a custom matching 80 mph speedo...)
ms39021-2 speedometer.jpg
moal.002 (2).jpg
Moal bomber gauges.003.jpg

I like those gauges though, nice.

My 10/69 40 with a 327 sbc rolling 33's and stock 4.11's. It is not remotely highway-worthy (yet) and I have yet to drive it on a highway and don't have a clue how fast it will go.

I'm looking to replace the existing aftermarket speedometer and really like the look of the military speedometers. However, they only read to 60 mph. Is that even a useful range for a 40? I certainly don't need a 140 mph speedo, but I am a little concerned that being blind above 60 might be a drawback. I would love an 80 mph speedo, but they all look to hot-rod for my taste.

My ultimate goal is to get the truck back in shape for mixed around town/trail use. It will see some highway use (primarily to and from camp). Should I grab the speedo or keep looking for something that reads a little higher.

Your setup will do 100 mph... Around 80 they tend to get floaty...:eek:

If your still running drums, I'd keep it to 60.

Honestly if you LOVE that speedo get it.. above 60 just drive with the flow of traffic if you dont' want to get a ticket.

I haven't had a working speedo in 3 years. I do dd my rig in the summer, and when it's 65 degrees out in Winter like last week :)

When I don't have traffic to judge my speed, i just guesstimate my speed and have done fine driving by cops.. although if they really wanted to pull me over i drive a fix it ticket on wheels..

My f motor with 33's and 4.11s did 70 all the way to the inlaws last weekend. My speedo isn't very accurate so I use a GPS app on my phone to make sure i'm on. Other than that a speeding ticket really isn't my biggest concern in the "Coyote" Mud Flaps, Seat Belts, or anything else a cop wants to bug me about.

I used the Arctic White gauges from Auto Meter, and I like the look. The speedometer does go to 120 mph which is excessive for a FJ40, but I do drive mine at 60+ mph at times.

One thing I did do was to ditch the mechanical cable in favor of electric pulse input. The biggest advantage of that was how simple it is to change the calibration of the speedometer. I started out with a 33 inch tire and calibrated the speedometer to that. Then when I went to 36 in tires it was a simple recalibration and my speedometer was right on.

X2
Here is what I’m using and it works great, very good price and you can program it to any tire size.

SPEEDOMETER 80MPH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180695985106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Pulse Generator - Hall-Effect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170721216665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom