Ironman Time Baby! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the ironman kit showed up outside my house today, 3 huge boxes.... heavy as s***. lol. So i am thinking that me and a couple buddies are going to try and do it this weekend.

Any tips, or things that you think could make it go smoother that you would like to share?

Any pictures of your set ups? I would like to see some before and after pics if you have any.

Thanks

Hey,

Cool you got your lift. Mine came on a pallet, not in boxes. A couple of threads down from your post is my original thread about this lift. Here you go https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=98744 , I have before and after shots and I think some others have added some as well. Good luck this weekend, it is super easy.

Start spraying all of your bolts with PB blaster, or some other type of penetrating oil.

glad to hear you got your stuff. i've been holding out on a full thread until i can get some good pictures - forthcoming though!

as for tips - it'll be a full day project. it was for two of us to handle. start in the morning.

- make sure the military wrap is towards the middle of the truck.
- have an angle cutter available to cut ubolts off.
- have more than 1 cut off wheel. they go quick.
- have more than 1 jack around. comes in useful to pivot and manuever springs and axle into proper position.
- the rear springs are much thicker than stock. don't over torque. the baseplate shouldn't bend.
- have a breaker/cheater bar handy.

i would get a torch too. we were blessed by not having ANY issues getting the bushing out. they were completely worn through, but not frozen and came out easily. also, there was no rust on the truck which made disassembly easy. if you have any rust at all - blast the hell out of it with PB Blaster the week before and have liquid wrench on hand.

that aside - good luck. it's a fun, but long project.

Yep, it's a long and dirty job, but with rewarding results.

Glad to hear that you made it home Matt (loeky)!

Ask us how we know about which way the military wrap should face... practice makes perfect.

Matt makes good points... adittionally:
- one corner at a time
- lube all bushings with grease before installing
- when installing the rear springs you may need to attach the rear shackle first (to the spring and frame), then get the axle on the spring pin and snug the u-bolts, then attach to the front sprint mount. We had a bear of a time on the last spring trying to get that dam axle lined up, but this approach was the way it finally worked.

best luck...

Thanks for all the advice i will write it down and take it with me when i go to my buddies house. Him and my other friend assured me it would be no problem, lol, i don't know about that after some of the stories i have heard, but ahhh we should be able to figure it out, if something comes up i will come back on here and ask for some help.

i just finished installing mine tonight. it wasn't very hard but time consuming as there is alot of wrenching (7hrs). we used air tools which really helps. i soaked every bolt and nut with liquid wrench for about three weeks while i waited for the springs to arrive. wow. they came out really easy. even the pins just took a couple smacks with a mallet and i could pull them out with a twist.

most important three things...

1. soak soak soak. you'll be glad you did.

2. most arched rear spring goes on driver side.

3. air tools

here is my before and after pics...

by the way it rides great. like a new rig. not too stiff either. the U bolts they give you are a bit wide in front so just use a C clamp to pull them together. the U bolts are way to long. i cut mine off shorter. they were like 3 inches too long.
good luck. i'm a happy, tired guy.

oh, check out my rear shock! shocking huh? i was waaaay overdue.
2006-08-16 042 (Small).JPG
2006-08-16 057 (Small).JPG
2006-08-16 051 (Small).JPG

Ah, to have access to a hoist.

I helped a friend install an Ironman kit onto his 1989 JDM HJ61 the other night without any grief at all, it certainly helps having a completely rust free vehicle with only 70,000 Km on it.

I showed up at 7:30 pm, we started work and I was showered and in bed at 3 am - no rust issues...sweet.

No flicks of the before shot as it was on the hoist upon my arrival, however, here's a few from throughout the evening.
Ironman-install1.jpg
Ironman-install2.jpg
Ironman-install4blr.jpg

Last edited:
More photos

My buddy purchased extended anti-inversion shackles from JT Outfitters as well. We were suprised, as the lift kit came with sway bar extenders.

The last photo was the best I could do at 3 am. (83 BJ60, HJ61-JDM, HDJ81-JDM)

PS, If you look closely, you can see that I have a apartment size washer and dryer in the back of my rig (I got so exited about the evening, I forgot to take them out from collecting them the day before).
Ironman-install5.jpg
Ironman-install6.jpg
Ironman-install3-all-rigs.jpg

Last edited:
wow that cruiser looks awesome. I am from CDA though, so i think we are a ways away from each other, but thanks for the offer! I put in my drivers side seat today to drive the truck to best buy to get some electronics put in, and what a joy it was to drive it for the first time in a month, i felt much higher with a non-broken seat, and with the less weight with no seats or carpet inside i could feel some extra power, it was cool.

I am thinking that i will focus on my carpet and seats this weekend and then the lift through out next week.

Have extra jackstands available and lift the truck as high as you possibly can before dropping the stock springs off. Everything else I can think of has already been said. Good Luck!!!:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom