Ironman Shackle Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed Ironmans 2" constant load last week. Anyone's rear shackles this close on the drivers side hanger? First picture is the passenger second is the driver.

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2180 (1).jpg

Is that after you have driven it? Mine (Ironman)were at odd angles until I drove it and let it sort of "settle " .

That cross bar prevents inverting. That's what it's there for. You don't want the shackle side plate swinging too far back and locking the shackle in the backwards position (inverting). Right now that shackle is straight up and down which isn't ideal. Drive it around with a lot of weight in the truck and hit some good bumps to relax the suspension a bit

Is that after you have driven it? Mine (Ironman)were at odd angles until I drove it and let it sort of "settle " .
Yeah did a 200 mile round trip with some wheeling loaded down and that's after I unloaded. Probably just need to keep driving it loaded down.

How much weight is in your rig? With more weight it will get further away.
Nothing right now will be adding a decent amount a weight soon swing outs some kind of draw etc and hoping it will "settle out"

That cross bar prevents inverting. That's what it's there for. You don't want the shackle side plate swinging too far back and locking the shackle in the backwards position (inverting). Right now that shackle is straight up and down which isn't ideal. Drive it around with a lot of weight in the truck and hit some good bumps to relax the suspension a bit
So your saying my rear passenger side (first picture) is in danger of inverting? I was thinking it set about right and was my worried about the driver (second picture) Might just be the ironman lift. Its got some significant amount of cruiser lean.

IMG_2182.jpg

Your shackle angles look normal for heavy duty springs on an unloaded vehicle - which makes for a harsher ride. It can't really be prevented because there's a trade off between cushy ride and load carrying capacity. When two springs on the same axle cause the vehicle to lean and have different shackle angles, it's because one of the springs is stiffer and arched tighter than the other — they're not matched pairs.
It's a common problem it seems with aftermarket springs. OME springs do it too.
A spring shop told me to put the stiffer, higher spring on the driver's side, since that side will always have more weight (when driving solo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom