IRONMAN rear suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Just got done replacing rear suspension. I’m not 100% sure, but this seems like it’s not what it’s supposed to be…the shackle laying up flat against the frame. Did I miss something or is this actually ok?
AB978B47-4BB0-4A31-8738-CE8E0A3AA65F.jpeg

NOT OK

Curious if it’s mounted backwards. Might take a picture of the frame mount side.
I am borrowing the garage of a friend so i’ll have to take a better picture later this morning, but here is a picture from the “finished” passenger side rear. They didn’t have instructions/diagrams, but the old ones I took off had the military wrapped side towards the front, like this. We also were able to get the pin to align at axle/U bolts. I’m guessing they are oriented correctly, but maybe not?

What else could it be? The shackles were closer to a 45 degree angle when we first got things attached. They buckled up/flat when lowering the truck down…

1320D4AB-F609-4FC9-9CA4-5CFAFBA6438F.jpeg

I’ve always been told the military wrap goes to the fixed end…not to the shackle.

I can’t tell for sure which way yours are by looking at the pictures.

Last edited:
That is called an inverted shackle. The OME shackles are designed to prevent it.
The shackle needed to be coaxed to pivot in the opposite direction when lowering the weight of the vehicle back down on it.

Jack the frame back up to release the tension on the spring then use a big crow bar or pipe or something to leverage the shackle in the correct orientation - then start to lower the vehicle, watching and manipulating the shackle so it cocks in the other direction

I’ve always been told the military wrap goes to the fixed end…not to the shackle.

I can’t tell for sure which was yours are by looking at the pictures.
bad pic, but military end does attach to fixed end.
That is called an inverted shackle. The OME shackles are designed to prevent it.
The shackle needed to be coaxed to pivot in the opposite direction when lowering the weight of the vehicle back down on it.

Jack the frame back up to release the tension on the spring then use a big crow bar or pipe or something to leverage the shackle in the correct orientation - then start to lower the vehicle, watching and manipulating the shackle so it cocks in the other direction
thanks OSS. was hoping it was something like that.

Those look like heavy duty springs. They need to be exercised to relax their arch a bit.
Once you get the shackles pointing down and the vehicle is ready to drive, load up the back of the cruiser with as much weight as you can find. At least a few hundred pounds - then drive it over bumps to break-in the springs so they settle in a more flattened position.

^^^^^^ This!!!

Not having much luck. Needs way more force than a crow/pry bar. Actually tried strapping to an 80 series and pulling it. I’m certain the spring is the correct spring for the 60 as well as the rear… just seems way too tight to allow it to be flattened enough to get shackle to point towards rear. Any other ideas?

You're going to have to remove the ubolts then and start over. Be super careful when removing the nuts - the ubolts now are under pressure. Maybe lash the spring to the axle housing with webbing so it can't suddenly recoil when the last nuts are removed. Make sure vehicle is jacked up by the frame so axle housing isn't supporting vehicle . Be careful!

Not having much luck. Needs way more force than a crow/pry bar. Actually tried strapping to an 80 series and pulling it. I’m certain the spring is the correct spring for the 60 as well as the rear… just seems way too tight to allow it to be flattened enough to get shackle to point towards rear. Any other ideas?
You're going to have to remove the ubolts then and start over. Be super careful when removing the nuts - the ubolts now are under pressure. Maybe lash the spring to the axle housing with webbing so it can't suddenly recoil when the last nuts are removed. Make sure vehicle is jacked up by the frame so axle housing isn't supporting vehicle . Be careful!
Thank you OSS… we got it closer to perpendicular to the ground. Still leans slightly towards the front. Bought six bags of 60# concrete mix and am going to leave it parked with the extra weight for a week. Then i’ll drive it around again, but leave the concrete bags in until I get the rear bumper kit welded up and attached. Probably going to buy some anti-inversion shackles anyway and install those for some peace of mind. Took it for a short spin and one of the rear shackles popped forward after driving over a speed bump 😞

Thanks again for keeping tabs on this thread. Really appreciate it.

Just FYI, i have a set of older Ironman springs on my 60, and the rear shackles are pretty much vertical when unloaded and parked. I haven't had any issue at all with them over the last 10 (or so) years that they have bern on.

Just FYI, i have a set of older Ironman springs on my 60, and the rear shackles are pretty much vertical when unloaded and parked. I haven't had any issue at all with them over the last 10 (or so) years that they have bern on.
Good to hear… i think they just need to settle a tiny bit and they will hold in the near vertical. the driver side rear is fine, just the passenger side rear

vertical shackles can't give a very good ride, and you'll always have the chance of it inverting.

how much lift is it? seems the spring have quite an arch to them.

vertical shackles can't give a very good ride, and you'll always have the chance of it inverting.

how much lift is it? seems the spring have quite an arch to them.
Ironman states a 2”. i got a 4” increase in height from center of wheel to apex of wheel well. Old ones were original (87) and FLAT. I’m going to order anti-inversion shackles as the passenger side rear flips up (towards front) against the frame just going over the 2” curb of our driveway…

How far have you got from hub centre to the gaurd now? Have you contacted iron man about them? Would have thought anti inversion shackles shouldn't be required. for just pulling out of your driveway.

How far have you got from hub centre to the gaurd now? Have you contacted iron man about them? Would have thought anti inversion shackles shouldn't be required. for just pulling out of your driveway.
left a message with Ironman this morning. I am starting to think I shouldn’t have gone with heavy duty in the first place, but we’ll see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom