Ironman awning on factory 98 LX crossbars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been searching around and see where folks have used rivnuts or drilled and used washers to mount things on factory crossbars, but they look like later model units that are all-metal. The crossbars on my 98 LX have a rubber insert on them that I am guessing ( I havent tried removing yet) have some sort of chanel they fit into that would make drilling a pain in the ass. I got a secondhand Ironman awning for cheap and it just has some L brackets. I know absolutley nothing about roof racks, this is the first vehicle I have ever owned at age 43 that has one so my eyes go crossed when I start reading all this slang. All I want is to mount the awning, no other stuff up there.

Anyone know if you can drill these early crossbars with the rubber? If not, any handy mounting hardware that you can refer to by its full name so I know WTF to search for? ;)

Thanks.

I have been searching around and see where folks have used rivnuts or drilled and used washers to mount things on factory crossbars, but they look like later model units that are all-metal. The crossbars on my 98 LX have a rubber insert on them that I am guessing ( I havent tried removing yet) have some sort of chanel they fit into that would make drilling a pain in the ass. I got a secondhand Ironman awning for cheap and it just has some L brackets. I know absolutley nothing about roof racks, this is the first vehicle I have ever owned at age 43 that has one so my eyes go crossed when I start reading all this slang. All I want is to mount the awning, no other stuff up there.

Anyone know if you can drill these early crossbars with the rubber? If not, any handy mounting hardware that you can refer to by its full name so I know WTF to search for? ;)

Thanks.
Yep, that is how I have mine mounted. Just drilled through the rubber in the center and out the bottom.

I’m not sure how Ironman mounts, but I used 3” u-bolt plates and bolts. I was concerned of the torque from the awning when offroad and wanted as much lever arm as I could get. My awning does weigh 50 lbs, though.

IMG_7323.jpeg

IMG_7322.jpeg

Gamiviti Blocks, Ironman quick disconnects, Ironman 6' and stock racks

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

Cool, thanks for the tips. I am going to get some of those Gamiviti units. BTW nice E30, I have one of those too.

PXL_20230504_024613456.jpg

^^^^^^^

TBH, When I did the research there were other options, most all cheaper than the gamiviti blocks. That said, I liked the bolt on solution that required zero raw material / hardware purchases, sizing, cutting, bending, and drilling. It's a bolt on, but not "cheap".

E30 Love! Nice Alfa as well!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom