IPOR rear bumper + Slee bolt on hitch = Motorcycle carrier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have an IPOR real bumper with the Slee 4 bolt 2" receiver hitch bolted to it. Slee - 2" Receivers

Am I completely stupid to put a motorcycle carrier on it like the one depicted below then load up a CRF450X onto it? I feel stupid doing it, just wondering what the general consensus is. Maybe others have done it and its fine...

Please advise.
moto1g.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing... Sandia BMW in Albuquerque loaned a friend of mine a motorcycle carrier similar to the one in your pic to transport my bike up to 'Burque for repairs, I think they called it a "Versa-Hauler". The cruiser I just purchased has a solid looking towing package (not sure whether it's stock or aftermarket).

I say go ahead ad try it, post the results!!!

I used a motorcycle carrier on a stock hitch and as far as the hitch and the truck it was fine.

The carrier on the other hand was a real POS. I had the add-a-bike on that was aluminum, not the nice steel that holds onto the seat. Well the carrier had way too much flex so the bike would sway back and forth. I would imagine that a steel carrier with an anti sway bolt used instead of a hitch pin would be pretty solid.

I am buying the ultimate MX hauler which I hear good things about.

Regarding the IPOR bumper, I would call them and ask them what the max tongue weight is, that should tell you if you can run the set up. Also remember that you will need to clear the rear tire carrier so get your tape measure out.

I used a motorcycle carrier on a stock hitch and as far as the hitch and the truck it was fine.

Does the stock hitch bolt to the frame though, that is my concern, that and the welds on the Slee hitch. It says on the site that the piece I have is not for towing, I will call Slee tomorrow as well.

Regarding the IPOR bumper, I would call them and ask them what the max tongue weight is, that should tell you if you can run the set up. Also remember that you will need to clear the rear tire carrier so get your tape measure out.

Good tips. I am going to toss the spare in the rear of the truck and pull the tire carrier all together for the trip.

Any one else might have experience with this before I call the manufacturers?

Does the stock hitch bolt to the frame though, that is my concern, that and the welds on the Slee hitch. It says on the site that the piece I have is not for towing, I will call Slee tomorrow as well.

Good tips. I am going to toss the spare in the rear of the truck and pull the tire carrier all together for the trip.

Yes stock hitch bolts to the frame. You could also get a stock hitch which I think is compatible with your bumper.

Is this a one time thing or will you be pulling a dirt bike often? If it will be often taking the rear tire off will get old very fast.

If you are talking about the one that goes on the bottom of the frame, I would not do it with that receiver. It was not designed for those kind of loads.

Thanks for saving me the call Christo. Looks like I will be renting a UHaul Pickup truck.

Yes stock hitch bolts to the frame. You could also get a stock hitch which I think is compatible with your bumper.

Is this a one time thing or will you be pulling a dirt bike often? If it will be often taking the rear tire off will get old very fast.

It was going to be a one time thing but all it takes is 1x for something to give right? Given Christo's comment, I am going to find an alternate method of getting this home.

Is this your CRF? If so, even if you are a lucky bastard and ride right out of your house and hit trails, there will always be a need to transport the beast.

Weigh out all of your options and figure out which one is best for you. Don't do like I did and go for the cheap option, just to have to scrap that and spend the money later on for a solid carrier.

I went from an aluminum carrier, to a trailer, and now I will be buying the MX hauler.

Those carriers create a super amount of stress on the receiver.

I had one that i used to carry my ATK 605 on. My bike weighed about 280lbs.

First, i had the regular springs in the truck and the back nearly sat on the ground and the front pointed at the sky. So you will need very stiff springs.

I have the IPOR rear bumper that has the receiver built into it. Based on the build materials of the bumper, the attachment points to the frame, i personally would think the bumper would be fine. I would make sure that the bike carrier had enough of the "main bar" to go into the receiver to minimize the amount of leverage on the main bar.... don't know if that makes any sense to you. This assumption is based on my original receiver that was bolted to the frame and carried my motorcycle.

I have a Slee rear bumper with the factory hitch bolted between the bumper and the frame. I have a double Joe Hauler and used it to transport a KTM 640A and didn't have any problems. Keep in mind that I had my subtank empty and also have heavies with airbags and it still squatted the rear end a bit, but the KTM is no lightweight.
523484647_Fd49H-M.jpg

I have a Slee rear bumper with the factory hitch bolted between the bumper and the frame. I have a double Joe Hauler and used it to transport a KTM 640A and didn't have any problems. Keep in mind that I had my subtank empty and also have heavies with airbags and it still squatted the rear end a bit, but the KTM is no lightweight.
523484647_Fd49H-M.jpg

THat looks pretty much like the one i had! The carrier, not the bike :flipoff2:

Airbags would be a great option if you were planning on running a carrier like this for any extended trip.

ConcreteJungle,
Can you shoot a pic without the bike,but with the hauler and hitch attached? Is it the stock hitch under the slee bumper?

Here's mine. Stock springs and garbage PO tires on it - it squatted and felt awful. I was going to get rear airbags but then I stumbled upon the Bridgestone Revos and the difference was night and day.
PA-camp1.jpg

I don't have either anymore. I sold them several years ago. Plus, i have upgraded the suspension on my rig since then.

Here's a pic of the bike.
bike 001 (Medium).jpg

I still need to call IPOR and see if the bumper can take it. If it can, I am sure someone can build a very stout bolt on 2" hitch, even if it has arms that extend from under it to bolt to the frame and/or cross-member.

ConcreteJungle,
Can you shoot a pic without the bike,but with the hauler and hitch attached? Is it the stock hitch under the slee bumper?

I don't know if you meant me, but here's a picture of the Joe Hauler without any bikes:

524246411_zLSqH-M.jpg

I normally take the spare off if I'm hauling a normal size bike, I can haul the TTR125 or a scooter with the spare on.

A closer shot of the hitch and hauler:

524243760_N6TLb-M.jpg

Yes, I realize the hitchpin is missing. The aluminum thing in the picture with the wingnut is the ramp in it's stored position, the bikes don't sit in that close.

A shot of the hitch mount between the bumper and frame:

524244772_MB97r-M.jpg

Note that it's between the bumper and frame on the rear mount and under the bumper mount on the forward mount. The two schrader valves are for the airbags.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Scott

Scott,

Perfect! I too have the oem hitch like yours and was wondering how the Slee rear bumper fit above it....
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom