IPOD reception to stock radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I kinda dig the old stereo and am trying to look for radio solutions that don't affect the stock dash. I have decided against the satelite radio.

Has anyone had any luck with using an IPOD's Itrip accessory with the stock FJ60 stereo?

works most of the time. it's a bit of a trick to find the right spot on the radio dial that doesn't have any stations. I haven't used it on a stock radio (didn't have one when I bought my rig) but have used it in the house and on the road. Not perfect, but a cheap solution nonetheless. However, I've heard that the ITRiP is definetely the best . No complaints here

How much does these FM ipod tuners cost? $40? The sound quality with these FM tuner is not good compared to a hard connection into the stereo.

For like a little over$100 you can get a new CD stereo with an aux. jack on front to plug right into your ipod or have a CD or AM/FM and presets.

I looked up this one that will fit in a 60.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-L3kINovNKCr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&id=essential_info&i=055CDCX204

$79.99.. no sales tax.. free shipping... free kit and intructions to install it...

awesome tunes. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
FYI - There is no kit available to fit a single DIN radio into the FJ60 opening. For a 62, which is double din, they offer a pocket to mount underneath a single DIN radio. If you're going to be swapping out the original stereo, save the mounting brackets and black trim piece 'cause you'll need to modify the brackets to work with the newer DIN sized radios. Also the black faceplate trim can be cut and used as a spacer/filler for the opening with the new radio.

chitown40 said:
FYI - There is no kit available to fit a single DIN radio into the FJ60 opening. For a 62, which is double din, they offer a pocket to mount underneath a single DIN radio. If you're going to be swapping out the original stereo, save the mounting brackets and black trim piece 'cause you'll need to modify the brackets to work with the newer DIN sized radios. Also the black faceplate trim can be cut and used as a spacer/filler for the opening with the new radio.

DIN? What does this mean? Sounds like you get the wiring but have to make a mounting bracket. Wonder if anyone has used a kit from here and if it worked out.

Modify Fit - Requires Modification

Installation Details for your 1983 Land Cruiser
» You will need to fabricate a mounting kit in order to install your new receiver.
» Receiver installation gear is available for your vehicle. Add receiver to Your Cart to see items and cost.
» You'll get free lifetime tech support for as long as you own your gear!

It means you'll have to make mounting brackets like I did, and then figure out some way to cover the hole around the radio, like I am trying to do. The space around a single-DIN in my installation is about 3/4" on each side, and about 1/16" above and below. Trying to find something good that will fit in that space is difficult.

I actually want to keep the dash stock. I have original fm/am radio and tape player. I am keeping the truck as original as possible right now.

I was hoping to use the Itrip through the stock stereo as a simple solution. I don't think a high tech stereo would look right in my rig.

I am also not too into all the cords involved in the tape deck solution for the Ipod.

if you look on ebay they HAVE A transmitter that projects the music from your mobile mp3 player to a designated radio station like 88.3 or something. there will be no modifying anything. also my stock stereo just slides into the stock location with no brackets or custom anything. I just cut out the stock black sheath deal so my deck would slide in. It looks stock.

I have a stock deck in mine with a portable sirius reciever that has a built in fm transmitter.It works great and the transmitter frequency is adjustable so if your traveling you can change it if you get iterference. Another option is a modulator that plugs into the antenna so you can plug any RCA conection to it. This was really nice because my old lady would watch movies on the laptop and I could listen through the stereo.

you could always just mount an amp under a seat or something and hardwire the ipod into that-- no changes to the stock stereo at all exept for much better sound.

or just get the iTrip and give it a whirl.

I got something similar last year for a road trip in a ford... it worked well, but after a few hours my wife and I both had a headache... could have been something else, but turning the stereo off helped a LOT.
Maybe the ford, maybe the crappy fm transmitter... dunno.

The iTrip is probably a better unit all the way around

sandcruiser

I originally got hooked on cruisers on a trip to Costa Rica in 1998. We got our rental Suzuki stuck in a river crossing and a zebra striped FJ40 screamed past us through the river soaking me while I was pushing the heap. I knew I had to have one after that.

The ice cream in Tamarindo is insane.

How does that hardwired amp work with an ipod?

FJ60-Hokie said:
sandcruiser

I originally got hooked on cruisers on a trip to Costa Rica in 1998. We got our rental Suzuki stuck in a river crossing and a zebra striped FJ40 screamed past us through the river soaking me while I was pushing the heap. I knew I had to have one after that.

The ice cream in Tamarindo is insane.

How does that hardwired amp work with an ipod?

Ditto here too! Crazy! I couldn't believe tha sheer numbers of FJ's in Costa Rica.

Back on topic...I have an iPod and use the Monster radio transmitter. $69.95 at Best Buy. The one I have has 10 stations to choose from but the newer ones let you choose any. Great quality and reception. I have heard poor reviews of the one from Apple, so I would recommend staying away from it.

So, my iPod works great but my stereo system is sucky and full of suck...

I got the Monster version that plugs into the cig lighter and charges the pod while driving. Been using it about a month and havent changed the station from 88.1 and it works awesome here in SD!!!

I have both the iTrip and the Monster version, night and day, iTrip is a PITA to change stations while driving and the Monster version is clearer AND charges the iPod while you drive

The one thing i did notice is that having the electric antenna in my 80 and being able to lower it when i plug in the iPod made a big difference!

Thanks for all the great feedback

I will have to go with the Monster version. The extra cash is worth it to me.

I really like the classic look of the stock radio as well. BUT, i got a tuffy center and hope to put a nice stereo in it. Tuffy is already setup for DIN and I can plug into it (ipod, other mp3) easily. I also like that it locks and a stock stereo makes it less likely for someone to bust a window... Out of sight out of mind.

my .02

rob

DIN stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm. It's the industry-standard size for stereos. The common sizes are single-DIN ("normal size") and double-DIN (think FJ80 or Chrysler). I'm pretty sure there's also 1.5-DIN, and probably triple-DIN too.

Use cassette adapter

You may not have a stock cassette player, but using the stock radio in my '90 FJ62 I just plug in a $10 cassette adapter (has a wire coming off it that plugs into Ipod headphone). Advantage to this setup is that where FM is limited to around 10db dynamic range (i.e. loudest loud to quietest quiet during a musical piece), the cassete connection should provide around 50db (actually should be even better since tape is not the source but instead the transfer head). You can compare this to vinyl recording & amp providing 65db and a CD & amp providing 95db.

I am always amazed that the dimension of dynamic range goes unnoticed by so many. I am not being critical by any means, just always curious who might opt for an FM transmitter for their Ipod if a cassette adapter will work. However, I understand and I do own an FM transmitter myself for when I ride in my wife's car (with no cassette). I think I paid $25 at buynow.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom