Ipod for factory stereo ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the 9 speaker system with the OEM double din CD/tape player in my 91 FJ80 and I wanted to know if an ipod cable can be used with it ?
If not, will one work with the later 96/97 OEM stereo ?
And if one will work with the 96/97 stereo, will that stereo fit in my 91 and will the factory connectors work ?
Thanks in advance !

nope...best bet is to retro fit a scion 1805 pioneer deck in the truck

You can use the cheap crappy tape player adapter, but given the age of the stereo, didn't it come with a record player adapter? ;)

I am looking at swapping out my single din Alpine for a newer ~$110 Pioneer unit that has an IPOD adapter with full controls.

There are loads of threads on the subject, just do a search.

Considered doing the Scion HU swap, but I didn't want to hack up my dash faceplate.

I found it way easier to get a $120 Pioneer single din HU off the internet, had more features than the Scion HU, along with full RGB control over the display colors. Install was easy after I read a few of the stereo threads on this forum.

After installing it, it took me about 30 seconds to exactly dial the colors in to match every other pear-green light on the dash.

DEH-4300UB - CD Receiver with Color Customization and USB Direct Control for iPod®/iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA

Full iPod control, 3.5mm aux input, plays mp3 cds, and can play directly off a USB thumb drive too. There are a ton of similar models out there by other manufacturers in this price range also, so just take a look on Crutchfield or someplace like it.

When I bought from Crutchfield, I got a free kit that came with the wiring harness and a little cubby to fill the other single din spot. I'll use it to mount one of my 2 line LCD displays at some point once I figure out a fun project to hook up to it. Homebrew digital compass/altimeter readout maybe?

I am thinking of using that space for a CB unit, but I like the idea of the compass/altimeter!

I am thinking of using that space for a CB unit, but I like the idea of the compass/altimeter!

This has been posted before but for reference this is the pioneer single din that has a ipod control chord out the back. I have it running into the back of the ashtray which holds my ipod perfectly. close it and you dont see it and doesnt take up space. I generally have it just on shuffle and it goes all the time and is always charged. CB is on top. Takes some effort to put it in but worth it.
IMG_4566.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom