Socal Camp spots during winter season? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been planning on camping 1 weekend between the months of January and April. Does anyone know any areas that are great for camping in SoCal (primitive if possible) during that time of year? Some areas I've research such as inyo NF (monache meadows, coyote flats) and san bernardino NF (big bear) but looks like they are closed during the winter season. Anyone else know any great sites??

Last edited:
Sounds like you're looking for a mountain type camp. Ever consider the desert areas? Lots of primitive out there.

Sounds like you're looking for a mountain type camp. Ever consider the desert areas? Lots of primitive out there.

im actually in the process of researching desert camping areas right now, death valley comes to mind but imo they arent as pleasing as large sequoias hovering over your camp site, just wish they were more easily accessible in the winter, unless you can enlighten me with some beautiful desert camp areas!

Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego, Baja...

What vehicle are you driving?

Anza Borrego Desert State Park has many places with beautiful views and things to go see during the day. (guide books are available) They do not allow ground fires, so be ready for that. Plenty of day run type trails. If you want real excitement then plan you adventure for the first weekend in March and go see the TDS (Tierra del Sol) Desert Safari. More rigs of every make, model and some homegrown jalopies than you can imagine in one place. Lots of nice off-roading type people there too.

For other isolation without too many restrictions there's the Panamint Valley area. Chiraco(sp?) Summit off of I-10 where the Patton Museum is located.

Have you considered doing the Mojave Road? Takes a couple of days to see all the features. Not too demanding and definitely primitive camping. Get the guide book(s) for markers and good info on the history. Runs from the Colorado River all the way to Barstow. All dirt too.

i'll be taking my LC200.

these are all very helpful! i'll be searching all these up. thank you!

Tierra Del sol sounds fun as well!

I have a 200 as well and am looking to go week after Xmas. Looking for other to go with. Or at least some good recommendations. ??

What vehicle are you driving?

Anza Borrego Desert State Park has many places with beautiful views and things to go see during the day. (guide books are available) They do not allow ground fires, so be ready for that. Plenty of day run type trails. If you want real excitement then plan you adventure for the first weekend in March and go see the TDS (Tierra del Sol) Desert Safari. More rigs of every make, model and some homegrown jalopies than you can imagine in one place. Lots of nice off-roading type people there too.

For other isolation without too many restrictions there's the Panamint Valley area. Chiraco(sp?) Summit off of I-10 where the Patton Museum is located.

Have you considered doing the Mojave Road? Takes a couple of days to see all the features. Not too demanding and definitely primitive camping. Get the guide book(s) for markers and good info on the history. Runs from the Colorado River all the way to Barstow. All dirt too.

I’m thinking Los Coyotes would be this guy’s cup of tea. Haven’t been there in 25 years. Wonder if they still open it to the public.

Last Chance Canyon / Jawbone OHV area

There are lots of spots in the Eastern Sierra to camp remotely, just depends on the weather. Death Valley, Anza-Borrego and Joshua Tree are all good options.

I looked at some beach camping Jan 25th wekend (after MLK), everything from Pismo/Carpenteria to Dana Point, seems all things are booked

I looked at some beach camping Jan 25th wekend (after MLK), everything from Pismo/Carpenteria to Dana Point, seems all things are booked
Usually booked up by the motorhome crowd. We've stayed in Capitola Beach with the sister in law/family before during this time. There's a chance for walk-ups though...

Usually booked up by the motorhome crowd. We've stayed in Capitola Beach with the sister in law/family before during this time. There's a chance for walk-ups though...
Walk ups always seem too risky to me. Yeah motorhome crowd - SIGH :(

Walk ups always seem too risky to me. Yeah motorhome crowd - SIGH :(
Be prepared for disappointment/have other options. What pisses me off the most is staying at a campground and seeing multiple “reserved” spots going vacant the entire time.

:mad:

Here's a map of the areas they're closing off to camping at Pismo. It was a good run while it lasted at mile post 6. :crybaby:

1579290984567.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom