Involuntary operation of CDL 98’ cruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
98 VX Cruiser, no separate cdl button. Cdl should only engage automaticly in 4WL. My CDL has come on all by itself in 4WH and I can’t get it to release. any ideas as to what has caused this?
I note that I’m hearing no clicking from the transmission relay and no noise to indicate that the actuator is attempting to function. My 15 amp fuse checks out ok and I see there is still power at the #7 terminal on the relay plug when I select 4WL. Could a fried transmission relay cause the CDL to activate by itself while in 4WH ? With my limited testing ability and skills I might just try to source a second hand one and swap it out to see if there’s any change. Process of elimination. My fear is that even if it turns out to be a crook relay, I may have cooked the actuator motor as I had to drive for four hours with the diff lock on to get home. That’s assuming that there was still power going to it All that time. Are there any other fuses or relays I need to check out?

Last edited:
98 VX Cruiser, no separate cdl button. Cdl should only engage automaticly in 4WL. My CDL has come on all by itself in 4WH and I can’t get it to release. any ideas as to what has caused this?
I note that I’m hearing no clicking from the transmission relay and no noise to indicate that the actuator is attempting to function. My 15 amp fuse checks out ok and I see there is still power at the #7 terminal on the relay plug when I select 4WL. Could a fried transmission relay cause the CDL to activate by itself while in 4WH ? With my limited testing ability and skills I might just try to source a second hand one and swap it out to see if there’s any change. Process of elimination. My fear is that even if it turns out to be a crook relay, I may have cooked the actuator motor as I had to drive for four hours with the diff lock on to get home. That’s assuming that there was still power going to it All that time. Are there any other fuses or relays I need to check out?
Please post your findings here when you can.
Keeping CDL engaged shouldn't burn up the actuator, I have certainly driven the truck for.long hours with CDL engaged without any adverse affects.

Have since purchased another relay. (Process of elimination) haha. Now inside the garage in a very quiet environmemt I can in fact hear the relay clicking and doing what it’s meant to do. Soooo....at least I have a spare relay now. Since posting my “issue” I’ve removed the front driveshaft so I can at least tow the boat through the holidays. Next plan is to drop the trans a bit so I can check out the actuator. Still concerned though....how does a system that doesn’t engage the CDL unless you put it in 4WL do so all by itself when in 4WH???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom