Intsall brush guard on 1997 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I install the front brush guard on my 1997 LX450?

Is drilling required?
Any recommendations on what brush guard to buy?
Any one has a used brush guard for sale?

I own 97 LX450 but I never installed one of these on it, I will have to refer to others on this matter.

Junk might have a different point of view of the brush guard on a cruiser, watch out ;)

Al

[quote author=LX450 link=board=2;threadid=5208;start=msg40636#msg40636 date=1063397303]
How do I install the front brush guard on my 1997 LX450?

Is drilling required?
Any recommendations on what brush guard to buy?
Any one has a used brush guard for sale?
[/quote]

Well, first off---Don't!

Get an ARB bullbar...bolts right up. Way better looking, better protection, better all around then a brush guard/stock bumper setup.

Brush guards are a total waste of money, and in the case of a crash usually cause more damage than not having one at all.
IMHO.
Cheers,
Sean

I installed my Manik brush guard into my dumpster. :D

The Manik one is the dealer add on. It bolts into exsisting holes. You should be able to buy one used as people throw them out fairly regularly around here. For good reason. You'll find this is kind of the function over form set. Chrome and easily bent gee-gaws are frowned upon.

That's why nobody likes me. They are all jealous of my 24" dubs and chromed out lowered babe mobile. :flipoff2:

I just put on my arb! :D
it looks SWEET!

but, i do have two questons..

1. on the arb instructions..and on the bull bar there are these warnings about "non airbag compatable".. does this mean my airbags are useless now?? How will this effect collisions? This is my DD ...so, safety is also a concern.

2. I got the 'winch capable' arb..there is a big space bettween the bumber and the body car. I am assuming this huge gap is space for a winch..? There are two square cutouts.. Why 2 cutouts? also the front tabs (which look like spears)..are for the fog lights?? and the middle tabs for the driving lights..and upper tabs for CB antennas..right?

Sorry for all these lame questions..but, you all here are experts. So i figured i would ask y'all.

later..
Joe

XL450 ..

Thats the gutsiest question I've seen around 'here' in a while . :-X

Though you will not gain much support for said project , you have to reframe a little . Understand that most here build up their machines to be uber-capable on trails and rocks . That said , the underlying philosopy is a good one ... as in architecture - Form follows function . So if you wanted the brush guard for added protection , then perhaps you would consider this ...

• Shop around the web ; starting with Slees
  • Develop a budget and timeline
  • Begin morphing your 450
  • But be true to your goals , without 'wasting' much good money on less than ideal alternatives

I know that may be a departure from your goals at present , and it also entails a huge jump in financial expenditure , but the end 'product' may be quite a leap forward in safety , functionality and braun ;)

Cheers ,

Tyler

Joe, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Sean

LX,

I think by now you've gotten the gist of things. If it is a stock brush guard, then it should bolt right up. However please don't expect that thing to guard against anything but a grocery cart tapping it in a parking lot (that may even leave a dent...) and do be aware that if it does get hit, it will bend into the sheet metal, causing more damage....

-H-

previous owner had the "stock" brushbar on my 91....crinkled it and caused my passenger flare to get some scratches.

Get a real bumper, you will like it more better.

[quote author=LX450 link=board=2;threadid=5208;start=msg40636#msg40636 date=1063397303]
How do I install the front brush guard on my 1997 LX450?[/quote]

Brush guards are cool. Get one. ::) :flipoff2:

Most go with ARB and more are going with Slee. We warned though - if you put either of these on, you will feel more manly. You will want to skip showers, burp, fart, and tell your wife to shut up - you're busy watching a welding vid. :flipoff2:

I'll assume you say brush guard since that's a generic name. In case you don't see a pattern here, we're kind of partial to real steel. :D

If I may perpetuate the downhill spiral... LX450, where do you live? I've got a set of the mavic shopping cart guards (yeah those sweet tail light covers too). Needless to say, I bought them cheap, and will sell them much cheaper.. am planning on upgrading the front to the real steel this fall. The back ones are laying next to the garage somewhere, front is still holding up my driving lights until the new one comes, I'll include a small pic.

If you're not interested in the best approach angle, winch support, recovery options, etc., or frankly just like the look of the "grill guards" over the more serious bull bars, I don't see anything wrong with it if that what you're into. We all drive cruisers here, but they're all a little different accessory-wise based on our personal tastes and how we used our vehicles. Let me know if you want mine in a month or so, I'm in the Dever area.

Nakman, I live in the New York City area. How much do you want for the complete set of front brush guard and tail light guards? Also, do you have all the required screws and parts to install them? Let me know soon, I seriously interested, just give me the cost of the guards and the shipping charges.

I think a sanitation truck will take 'em free !! :p

Ty

If it is a one piece guard it will need to go by LTL common carrier. (truck freight). Count on at least 150 bucks on a pre-paid shipment, higher on a COD/freight collect shipment. It will also need to be boxed well to prevent damage.

I think that the OEM brushguard does serve a useful purpose. It looks intimidating and makes other drivers think twice about cutting you off. There's only a few hundred people in the world that know how flimsy those things are.

So, LX450, since you live in the NY City area, I think the OEM brushguard will serve a good purpose.

Ed

Todd, thanks for the info on Grey Hound shipping, I checked out there website http://www.shipgreyhound.com and it does seem to be alot less expensive then FedEx and UPS. I'll PM Tim ASAP so we can workout the transaction.

Ed, your right, it will serve a good purpose in those tight fitting parking spots in NYC.

If anyone else is interested in a Manik 3 peice brushguard, email me. I've got one sitting in my garage I'll give away if someone will take it. Seems a shame to throw the thing away, but that's where it may end up.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom