Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello new friends. I'm having my mechanic look over a 2003 with 275k today and so long as the fundamentals are solid I'm going to pick it up for $6k. High mileage with the price tradeoff seems fair so long as the frame is solid and the motor/trans don't need to be replaced immediately. I hade a 3rd Gen 4runner that I did OME lift, ARB Bumper, winch on but had to have the frame welded at the rear driver control arm when the mount crusted off. I've started pricing out the build and have an idea but am always open to finding ways to save money. I've been reading a lot of the tech threads related to lifts, lockers, A-Trac, etc. and there seems to be a lot of great knowledge here. My mechanical skill is on the "I can get in serious trouble and call a friend" end of the spectrum so I don't know how much I can contribute but will where I can.

Also, it seems like ARB seems to be default/cheapest on a lot of the components I'm looking at but I'm very open to other options if there are any suggestions. Good to meet you all.

Hello and welcome to MUD!

I hope the 2003 turns out to be a cream puff and you score. Before you even think about modifications, make sure you baseline the cruiser... REPLACE THE HEATER TEE'S!!!!! Take care of all fluids, hoses, driveshaft lube, timing belt/water pump, fan bracket, spark plugs, wheel bearing maintenance, bushing replacements and of course a full tank of gas. With nearly 300k miles on the odometer, there is guaranteed to be some deferred maintenance that will need to be taken care of. Luckily the FAQ in this forum is full of great information to help you along the way.

Thanks so much. It actually just got out of the dealership for the Tees so it's fortuitous that you mentioned that.

Had my mechanic go over it tonight after I drove it about forty miles. I'm going ahead with the purchase. It definitely needs valve cover gaskets. Other than that it's shocking the mechanical condition of this car. Absolutely beautiful frame. Suspension is nice and tight. Leather is pretty rough. It was keyed on the driver side. The back seat HVAC controls were shorted causing a battery drain so it's disconnected which also disabled the DVD and dome light. There's a small occasional leak either from the sunroof or the rack rails. Small crack in the back bumper. Pitted spot on the hood. Surprisingly clean body with no rust even inside the fenders and pinch welds. Center diff works. Bushings are really great and it's hard to believe they could be original.

So, here it goes. My wife has asked me not to do anything silly with it so now I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom