Introduction and Grumpy FJ40 Adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As others have said. No telling what yr that is. later model steering wheel and ebrake. later model Squared headlight bezel. These items typically wouldn't be on a 74, regardless of origin.

An import usually doesn't have an upper dash pad, or heater. They could have dash inserts, they have 4 wheel drum brakes even on later models and a lot will have the little rubber tits/bumper installed on the frt bumper and rear bumperettes like your example. Some may have a heater depending on the climate they're from. A simple overview of US cruisers would be 73 and older has a 3 speed, 1st gear is not synchronized and has a bench seat. They are more utilitarian. 74 and later usually have a synchronized 4 speed, early 74's could be a 3 speed, I think. 75 and older has 4 wheel drum brakes. 76 and later will have frt disc brakes. Toyota frt discs can be adapted on most 70's and later frt axles. There are some slight mods required. 79 and later had a bunch of updates. The tubs are completely different on the inside. Gas tank under the vehicle, can have Power steering and ac. The most important info is the vin #. The vin # is stamped on outside of the right frt frame horn in between front crossmember and bumper. This same # should be on the title and on the vin plate on the drivers side A pillar. After market power steering is not uncommon but needs to be done correctly, along with rear disc brakes. V8's need to be done correctly and are usually cheaper.

They're are plenty of post in this section that ask "What's it worth? They are probably a good learning tool, cause folks will pick out what the issues they see. Lately the pricing maybe off in those posts. I think you'll find a little more honesty from the members ads in classified section on this site.

Last edited:
Too much rust for 40k. Some of the listed repair/upgrade don’t make since, ie “complete cylinder rebuild “ and “replaced harmonic balancer and pulley”. Just to name a few. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Too much rust for 40k. Some of the listed repair/upgrade don’t make since, ie “complete cylinder rebuild “ and “replaced harmonic balancer and pulley”. Just to name a few. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Michael B,

Educate me a little if you don't mind...

Too much rust...are you talking about the sill at the rear doors? That's the stuff I see and surface rust on the floor of the bed. I'm trying to learn what to look for because I can't zoom the pictures. If you can take a minute to tell me things to look for I'd appreciate it. You can, obviously, pick up things quickly that I miss. Thanks in advance.

Michael B,

Too much rust...are you talking about the sill at the rear doors? That's the stuff I see and surface rust on the floor of the bed. I'm trying to learn what to look for because I can't zoom the pictures. If you can take a minute to tell me things to look for I'd appreciate it. You can, obviously, pick up things quickly that I miss. Thanks in advance.

Looks like a relatively recent repaint to me. The fact that the rear sill is starting to bubble shows that they either did a crap job of prepping, they didn't pull all the old rust and replace, and just mudded over everything. A big risk is if you aren't sure about the quality of work on the rest of the truck. If it's original paint, I'd be amazed, but I'd be pretty doubtful because of the blacked-out engine bay, and all the changes on the running boards, frame looks to be in way to good of paint condition (also no undercarriage or frame pics). The rear wheel wells look a little funny to me as well, but that may just be me. Also upside-down bezel AND it's chromed.

I wish there were some higher-quality pics so I could actually look at it.

Also, why is the driver's footwell black and the passenger's yellow? Looks like some "restoration" work or something went on there. Same with the parking brake handle pull mount and steering wheel brackets. The pull should be gold or silver zinc, not body yellow, and the steering wheel brackets black. Looks like a complete dash respray where they didn't pull much.

Thanks for the observations fellas. I might go look at this one for the experience since it's only a couple of hours away. I want to crawl over a FJ40 to learn what I can. I'd welcome any specific questions you would ask and any suggestions on things to look for underneath the truck. Keep in mind I'm an admitted FNG to this platform and I appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

If I do go look at it, I will take pictures of any areas you suggest for your input. In fact, if you'd be open to a facetime call, you could see for yourself...:cool:

Dangernoodle covered my concerns very well. The next best place for rust to show through his recent paint job will be between the running boards and the bottom of the door. Then the bottom of the door itself. For that price range it would be a solid pass for me. In about an hour I will be headed back to Huntsville if you would like to discuss it some more I will have time to talk.
Michael B,

Michael B,

The rear sill is a complicated piece to replace. Top have behind the floor is three layers on the top half. Up to 79 there is a weld on each side below the end of the wheel well. If that isn't there it a give away it been repaired and not like it came from the factory. This 78 been repaired but not like factory. It also rusting again. Most likely rusting from the middle out.

My 2 cents: Take your time. Read and linger on the forum and absorb. Keep an eye on the classified section here. There are plenty of horror stories of folks who have gotten burned from Ebay. I believe that you will be far happier in the long run when you find an original unmolested specimen or one that a MUD member has done a good honest job with all of the mechanicals.

Twice the price of this truck for sale in classifieds if you like mustard yellow....

If you're paying $40k for an FJ40, it needs to be perfect. Too many well kept trucks that aren't hiding things for much less money are available.

Don't get caught up rushing into buying something overpriced. Take your time and physically look at a bunch of trucks. Prices are going to do nothing but come down here over the next year as folks feel the squeeze of the current administrations poor economic policies and these toys need to be sold for actual needs like food and fuel.

If I do go look at it, I will take pictures of any areas you suggest for your input. In fact, if you'd be open to a facetime call, you could see for yourself...:cool:
Don't waste your time, honestly. I say thats a $15k truck at the most. Like, top top of the spectrum. It's hiding too much.

I agree with the others. There were a lot of short cuts, and the current owner bought it that way. The price is way out of line by a lot.

Have you reached out to the local 40 owners. Click on clubhouses and find groups close to you. I'm sure someone will be glad to show off their 40. They may have get togethers that you can attend and see several 40s. They may know of one for sale. Explain to them you just want to look and learn. They'll probably let you ride or possibly drive. It's probably better than driving 4hrs round trip just to look. Take you time.

Last edited:
Twice the price of this truck for sale in classifieds if you like mustard yellow....

If you're paying $40k for an FJ40, it needs to be perfect. Too many well kept trucks that aren't hiding things for much less money are available.

Don't get caught up rushing into buying something overpriced. Take your time and physically look at a bunch of trucks. Prices are going to do nothing but come down here over the next year as folks feel the squeeze of the current administrations poor economic policies and these toys need to be sold for actual needs like food and fuel.
Idk, fiberglass rear tub. Located in Minneapolis.

Michael B has been pretty acommodating and has given me a contact in Huntsville. I'll reach out to him tomorrow. Thanks fellas. Good group here.
We are all in support of you spending you're money, we love helping people do that, but we want you to spend it right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom