Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve always loved a FJ 40. As luck would have it my neighbor had one sitting in his yard that had been largely dismantled for years. I’ve recently been bitten by the classic car bug, I spent last winter rebuilding a Datsun 240z, so I approached him about the FJ. Long story short I fiddled with it last weekend and got it to fire off (it’s been sitting since 08). He needed it gone and I wanted another project so we made a deal and now she is mine. It’s a 67 and seems to be mostly stock. My goal is to get it moved on its own power from his yard to my garage (about 200 yards) this weekend. I Spent a couple hours to day assessing it and my biggest issues are a frozen front drum and an ignition coil that got way too hot and leaked oil. Is there supposed to be a ballast resistor?
I have a lot to learn and I look forward to meeting y’all and spending time with the new project.

T

I’ve always loved a FJ 40. As luck would have it my neighbor had one sitting in his yard that had been largely dismantled for years. I’ve recently been bitten by the classic car bug, I spent last winter rebuilding a Datsun 240z, so I approached him about the FJ. Long story short I fiddled with it last weekend and got it to fire off (it’s been sitting since 08). He needed it gone and I wanted another project so we made a deal and now she is mine. It’s a 67 and seems to be mostly stock. My goal is to get it moved on its own power from his yard to my garage (about 200 yards) this weekend. I Spent a couple hours to day assessing it and my biggest issues are a frozen front drum and an ignition coil that got way too hot and leaked oil. Is there supposed to be a ballast resistor?
I have a lot to learn and I look forward to meeting y’all and spending time with the new project.

T
Welcome aboard. Good bsckstory for a cruiser project. I hope it is 200 yds downhill with the wind at your back. (Old FJ40 blessing)

Welcome! Pics?

She is in a million pieces but for the most part seems solidish…
looking for a FSM, where is the best place to find one?

33748E3E-5323-4A8E-A382-33140E4DE12E.jpeg

65BF0C78-D047-4BA0-9FA4-20FF1B88FFED.jpeg

C5D703ED-1475-4FFC-852C-DFC2A8398C3E.jpeg

F9C0100F-854B-434A-A6E7-66FB7801FC2C.jpeg

CCB28DC2-206C-4C55-B8D7-17880FD76A2A.jpeg

1DA1505B-B21B-4D71-95C3-39F73D2B4F5A.jpeg

Looks like a good work platform. Check in with the ONSC Club. There are a few in your area but you are darn near not in North Carolina. Spent some time in Sylvia /Cullowhee area. Franklin is a little left.

Welcome to mud and good luck with your cruiser project.
Glad you showed the Z! Love those cars. Fastest I ever drove was in an orange 71 240zx, 145 mph with pedal to spare. Scary fast! 👍

Wow, looks great. You should check out a few threads about patina preservation and paint restoration. That’s a cool color

74EE0098-4AAB-4F05-BA67-218D19E1AE6E.jpeg

She is a fighter but I got her home, actually thankful that it was all uphill due to a total lack of brakes! Fortunately the left rear has hanging enough to stop me from running through the garage…. I’ve got my hands full with this one but I look forward to learning from you guys and gals.

Great start for a build thread. Welcome to the nut house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom