Introduction to my 72 FJ40 - 8.1 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone, I've been a very long-time lurker on this forum. Always finding good information and some awesome builds. Figured I'd post mine up as I'm getting to the point where I may need some outside help or suggestions.

This is my 1972 FJ40 that I bought back in 2017. Found it randomly online labeled as White Truck and listed at a very reasonable price. Spoke with the owner and took the drive to go check it out in person. The owner was very cool guy, knew what he had but still gave it to me at a steal because he was "looking for the right person" for it to go home with. Initially i bought it with the intention of flipping it, but the wife and kids fell in love with it and I've always wanted an FJ40 as my dad had a 68 FJ when i was growing up.

Truck came with a tired Small Block 350, SM465, NP206 and corporate 12 bolt rear end. It was sitting on 44s and used for rock crawling, the owner threw in everything extra he had which was a brand new 0 mile shop built 383. Swapped the 383 within the first year and cruised around town with it but never had the time to really work out all the bugs until Covid hit. Working from home I decided to swap in a 2007 8.1 i had in the garage since I now had plenty of time and wanted the fuel injection as well as "why not?". If any drive train can actually hold up to the 500tq I figured this would.

It's been a year of wiring, new brakes, cleaning up the truck, tuning and modifying the engine to work properly but I've finally started to Daily drive the truck on the weekends and to work 1-2x a week. Engine is running great and has scary amount of power, however it's time to improve the suspension and will be picking your brains on here soon!

Hope you enjoy and will gladly add more pics or provide more info if anyone's interested.

Day1.jpg
8.1.jpg
Engine.jpg

FJ.jpg

Engine.jpg

Hello Everyone, I've been a very long-time lurker on this forum. Always finding good information and some awesome builds. Figured I'd post mine up as I'm getting to the point where I may need some outside help or suggestions.

This is my 1972 FJ40 that I bought back in 2017. Found it randomly online labeled as White Truck and listed at a very reasonable price. Spoke with the owner and took the drive to go check it out in person. The owner was very cool guy, knew what he had but still gave it to me at a steal because he was "looking for the right person" for it to go home with. Initially i bought it with the intention of flipping it, but the wife and kids fell in love with it and I've always wanted an FJ40 as my dad had a 68 FJ when i was growing up.

Truck came with a tired Small Block 350, SM465, NP206 and corporate 12 bolt rear end. It was sitting on 44s and used for rock crawling, the owner threw in everything extra he had which was a brand new 0 mile shop built 383. Swapped the 383 within the first year and cruised around town with it but never had the time to really work out all the bugs until Covid hit. Working from home I decided to swap in a 2007 8.1 i had in the garage since I now had plenty of time and wanted the fuel injection as well as "why not?". If any drive train can actually hold up to the 500tq I figured this would.

It's been a year of wiring, new brakes, cleaning up the truck, tuning and modifying the engine to work properly but I've finally started to Daily drive the truck on the weekends and to work 1-2x a week. Engine is running great and has scary amount of power, however it's time to improve the suspension and will be picking your brains on here soon!

Hope you enjoy and will gladly add more pics or provide more info if anyone's interested.

View attachment 2701008View attachment 2701011View attachment 2701013

View attachment 2701015

View attachment 2701008View attachment 2701011View attachment 2701013

View attachment 2701015

View attachment 2701009
That's awesome I have a 8.1 Avalanche for my shop plow truck I love the power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom