Introduction Thread: Richard in Vancouver (lots of pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

(Mods, if this isn't the right place for this post, can you kindly tow it to the right location, and accept my apologies?)

Name's Rich. I live in Vancouver, BC.

Picked up an '84 FJ60 (US-spec, not Canadian-spec) a few months back and just yesterday took delivery of it - it had been sitting at a friend's yard on Vancouver Island for months waiting for me to have some extra space for it.

So I just sold a couple other cars (old Porsche 944 and an '08 M3) and finally had some space to bring her home. Picked it up and drove it back.

Here are some pics to start, and I'll comment some more after.

1.png

She's blue. Been repainted (poorly) from the original slightly darker blue. Bottom, as you can see, has been coated in POR-15 to slow the inevitable cancer.

Drove pretty well, especially for over 250,000 miles. The occasionally shimmy/wobble/shake at around 55 which comes and goes, and the infamous (at least according to the FAQ?) steering clunk - but only when turning left. Other than a massive exhaust leak, that is.

Got it home, took it to the local muffler shop first thing to get the exhaust looked at. Got underneath it, it might as well not have had a muffler at all. :)

Got them to slap on something quiet, as it had a glasspack installed already, and as I'm getting older, I don't much care for loud exhausts anymore.

2.png

You can see in the pic below how the rust has taken hold on the bottom of the gate and the rear bumper:
3.png

New muffler installed. You can see the surface rust all over the underside... and one of the rear drums weeping a bit. Brake fluid level isn't changing though, so I'm guessing it's very minor:
4.png

After that, I took it out on a longer drive - figured I'd get to know her a bit more, see how she drives in comparison to my last SUV-type truck, a 99 XJ I had about 7 years ago. (Pic below, just 'cause):

jeep.jpg

I planned on doing all the basic tuneup stuff to it today, as I have no idea when it was done last. Drove out to my local parts guy, picked up the usual: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter. Grabbed a set of Hella 7" e-codes (which I read while lurking the past week or so were a half decent choice) as well.

Forgot to get new belts... and boy, I wish I had.

Drive it about 30 miles out and then make my way back home, and about 20 miles on the way, I notice the charge light come on... "that's odd, still got power, still got stereo, everything seems to be working..." Pull off the highway and park it, and immediately notice what I thought was smoke. Nope, it was steam.

WP belt snapped, and whacked the Alternator belt, causing it to jump off at the same time.

Everything got a good bath when (in my brilliance) decided to pop the rad cap off slowly to vent some more heat. Bad idea. At least I had access to water to fill it back up.

5.png

6.png

Whoops.

The busted belt:

7.png

Call up AAA (okay, well, the Canadian equivalent), and being a holiday weekend up here, the wait for a tow is going to be a while (no tools in the truck + no spare belts = not going to drive it home and chance cooking the HG).

Tow shows up, gets me home:

8.png

Drive it into the garage, go get me some belts.

Get new belts installed (can I say that I really like how easy it was to adjust the alternator and smog pump to get the belts on? At least compared to some other cars I've owned.), and she fires right up.

At least that's out of the way.

9.png

(Above: Everything ready to go.)

Skip the cap/rotor/plugs/wires for today as I couldn't find my spark plug socket.

Change the fuel filter, the one in there looks like it's many years old.

10.png

11.png

Found an old tube of AutoSol polish in the bottom of my toolbox, figured I'd see how the chrome cleaned up... quite well actually. Also removed that awfully-placed two-way radio antenna from the bumper:

12.png

Got the E-codes installed, man, what a difference. Mangled the driver's side trim ring dealing with disintegrated/stripped screws, and the headlight bezel itself will need replacing now after I dealt with a PO using a giant wood screw to hold it in place that had rusted out... requiring me to break the mount to get it off. :(

13.png

Left it at that for now. Lots more to take care of before I start moving forward:

1. Track down a not-insignificant oil leak. Looks like maybe filter housing. We'll see. Everything under there has so much gunk and oil and sludge build up it looks like a refinery.

2. Repair/Replace driver's side headlight bezel and ring.

3. Rear hatch won't shut - latch won't engage. Need to find me a replacement.

4. Finish the tuneup bits.

So with that being said, I've read the majority of the FAQ, but still have some questions:

1. As a BMW guy for years, I'm used to having access to sites like realOEM.com in order to track down part numbers and such. Is there a Toyota equivalent??

2. How can I determine my build month?

3. Any decent VIN decoders available online?

4. What are my best sources online for finding new OEM parts? Besides places like eBay and RockAuto, I mean.

5. Best place(s) to find used parts? Anyone got a functioning rear hatch latch or headlight bits? Let me know.

Future plans:

1. Fully assess the rust situation. If it's really bad, I'll just drive it as-is until it's just me and a drivetrain rolling down the highway.

2. Upgrade suspension. Old Man Emu still the best choice? Maybe a very mild lift?

3. Find me a front bumper that I can mount a winch to in order to keep myself out of trouble.

4. Install a proper two-way radio/antenna.

5. Install some aux lighting.

6. Anything else I should do?

And since I've come this far, some of my other fleet:

My wife's summer car I built for her:

vert.jpg

My "fun" car, 1990 BMW 535 with 490 rwhp turbo build:
1car.jpg

My 944 I just sold a couple weeks ago:
cup1.jpg

My M3 that I sold last week:
m3.jpg

My other toy, 1991 Japanese-spec LHD M5:
15.png

I'm sure I'm missing something. Oh right, the other V12:
16.jpg

Anyway, I'd very much appreciate if someone would help out with some of the Q's I have above. Not afraid to turn a wrench, change a HG, do whatever. I tend to stay away from suspension and bodywork though, I prefer to leave that to the pros.

Looking forward to having a lot of fun with my FJ60 and having another capable off-road vehicle again.

Thanks!

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I want to "restore" the TOYOTA lettering on the front to original. None of that all-black for me. Suggestions? Just mask it off and spray? Should it be white or silver?

Haha, brought back memories of the first time I ever had steam coming out from under a bonnet and despite many years of knowing better and the voice in the back of my head saying 'you know you shouldn't do that' for some reason I still took the cap off.. Good hot shower.

I've never used OME, I currently ride on Tough Dog springs and Koni shocks and I like it. My sway bars aren't in so it's a spongy ride but off road it works well.

As for the grill you could tape and spray definitely or even use a good old pot and brush if you're handy. I think it would look great with the original blue on the bonnet/guards but do as you like and enjoy the rig :)

Welcome to the mudsanity! Nice bones, but get that rust under control. :grinpimp:
Check your doorjamb tag for build month.
Check out the vendors that support this website. Landcruiser parts and consulting.
Toyopartsdeal is. ok... for part number and picture searches.
Get the factory service manual, free downloads around here somewhere.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
@beno...good parts source
Spector off road has good on line pics and an assortment of used parts and aftermarket solutions.
Check all the fluids, top off or flush out as needed
Check the brakes system...safety first

Enjoy the vintage LC experience!

Looks great.
If you know for sure that you're going to get a winch (and new heavier bumper to hold it... along with maybe a 2nd battery), decide on the winch & bumper you want to get BEFORE you replace your front springs. Figure out how much it's all going to weigh.

The proper springs to support a winch and xtra hardware will be too stiff without the winch... Ride like a bucking bronco..
And the ideal springs for a winch-less front end, will be banging on the bump stops with every little dip if a winch and new bumper is installed.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice so far.

I did mean to ask, and I'm sure this is a DUH question... but how the heck do I get the rear bench bottom to flip up? I see the hinge it rotates on, and the top half obviously flips down, but I can't see how to get it to move!

Looks great.
If you know for sure that you're going to get a winch (and new heavier bumper to hold it... along with maybe a 2nd battery), decide on the winch & bumper you want to get BEFORE you replace your front springs. Figure out how much it's all going to weigh.

The proper springs to support a winch and xtra hardware will be too stiff without the winch... Ride like a bucking bronco..
And the ideal springs for a winch-less front end, will be banging on the bump stops with every little dip if a winch and new bumper is installed.

Yeah, I might just put a front receiver instead with a removeable winch carrier and just use it when I'm going out. :)

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice so far.

I did mean to ask, and I'm sure this is a DUH question... but how the heck do I get the rear bench bottom to flip up? I see the hinge it rotates on, and the top half obviously flips down, but I can't see how to get it to move!
Middle of the bench there should be a pull strap that will release the seat to lift up. May have to dig behind cushion where belt buckles are to find it.

Middle of the bench there should be a pull strap that will release the seat to lift up. May have to dig behind cushion where belt buckles are to find it.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

In other news, this is how much fluid is dripping overnight. Quite a bit. Maybe it's PS fluid (common)? I haven't looked at it to be quite honest.

17.png

And for those of you who have never visited/experienced the never ending wetness of the PNW/Cascadia, here's what pretty much every nook and cranny where rainwater can collect looks like. I expect many, many hours of scrubbing in my future.

18.png

Since you are in Vancouver, Steve @ EBI Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories
Probably your best local source for restoration/repair parts.

Go to the Coastal Cruisers Club on the clubhouse page and get to know those guys. good group
and lots of experience and help there.

On Vancouver Island, John @ Radd Cruisers. Home Lot of knowledge
and parts too.

BTW :flipoff2: Welcome to the slow lane! J

Since you are in Vancouver, Steve @ EBI Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories
Probably your best local source for restoration/repair parts.

Go to the Coastal Cruisers Club on the clubhouse page and get to know those guys. good group
and lots of experience and help there.

On Vancouver Island, John @ Radd Cruisers. Home Lot of knowledge
and parts too.

BTW :flipoff2: Welcome to the slow lane! J

EBI Cruisers was on my list to go check out... sadly I travel a lot for work and my schedule for the next couple of weeks keeps me from being able to pop by when they're open. :(

Thanks for the other tips; I'm on the island every other month or so, so I'll check them out as well.

Thanks again for the welcome.

I'm on the island, when I am home. Good luck, see you when you are over sometime. J

dude that 944 looks amazing with those wheels ..

few years ago when I had mine ..

Tapage, that's a great one. Cup 2's also suit the 944 well. Turbo or S2? Both are starting to creep up in price thanks to the 911.

I still have my eyes open for a 968, as I'm pretty sure a 911 will be forever out of reach... not many of those around, sadly.

Parked the 60 at the airport this morning as I left for Texas this week. She's been doing just fine since I replaced those ancient belts.
The Hella H4's were amazing this morning as I drove to the airport at 4AM. What a difference.

Since you leave home too, I always disconnect the neg on the batteries when I go. I am paranoid
about parasitic elec loss mainly. It helps security too, and mines in my garage at home.

Yeah, I didn't this time - I was just curious how it ends up when I get back Friday. I get in middle of the day, so waiting for a boost from BCAA ain't no thing.

I'll report in when I get back. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom