Introduction - New Rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Picked this up a month ago for a song and am planning a frame off resto as a father / son project.

It's a '69 with the bench seat configuration and the 4wd shifter under the dash. It apparently came with the 3 speed on the column but was changed to a floor shifter at some point. It also has a Hone overdrive unit. Runs great, no smoke, no leaks. It spent the first 48 years of life in Lake Tahoe and the past 2 years in Shreveport, LA so there is some rust but not too bad.

I was originally planning a SBC or even the R2.8 Cummins, but am now leaning towards a rebuilt 2f. Does anyone have experience with the overdrive? I'm hoping to cruise comfortably at highway speeds and don't anticipate any hardcore off-roading. Should I ditch the overdrive and swap out the 3 speed?

I've already started tearing it down and will start a build thread at some point. Looking forward to picking y'alls brains.

20201024_145942.jpg

I’d start with the F you’ve got in there and take care of the rust. Don’t know much about those overdrives but if it’s working I’d run it while you get the lay of the land. I believe it’s more about how well your’s is working than how well they can work... if it’s broken parts are harder to find.

Sure, where do I find it?

Front passenger side frame rail just behind the bumper

I second keeping the F - if there's nothing all that wrong with it and it runs and drives, why replace it? This is coming from a guy with a small block conversion...These things are a black hole for money, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and spend the money fixing what's broke!

That's my favorite FJ40 color. Have fun with your build.

For mostly highway/on-pavement driving you could swap in FJ60 3.70 differential gears. And a little taller tire - I like the 30X9.50R15 ATs on a non-lifted FJ40.

This is going to be cool, love to hear about father /son projects especially when there is a Cruiser involved.
Agree with other, fix the obvious and drive it for now. Get to know it a little and all it's quirks then go from there.
Cheers, and Welcome to Mud!!

Great find! Stick with the f engine and work out the kinks the are required to make it safe to dink around in. I've got a stock f engine and 3 on the tree in my 70 and it'll cruise down the hwy no problem with the speedo bouncing between 45-55. It really and truly is a never ending kind of project with these but that's half the fun especially sharing it with your son!

Just finished overhauling a ‘barn find’ Hone drive. They are pretty simple....bearings and synchro rings are still available...you just need to do a close inspection of the planetary gear set, they are unobtainium....if it was run without oil, it’ll be toast. And you need to change the gear oil in it a bit more often. Synchro rings are actually Ford 3 speed parts. Bearings are standard industrial sizes and o-rings are available from several internet suppliers.

They’re pretty cool units otherwise...another stepchild of the 70’s.

B1ED6DB5-9CDB-4984-839E-9E065EA05325.jpeg

Hone Drive “innards” . The 2 shafts are the transfer case output shafts. Yep, if you decide to remove the Hone, you need to go back to a stock transfer case output shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom