Introduction new FJ40 owner (1970) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello new member from Richmond, VA here. Just purchased vehicle from CO. Looking forward to stating the restoration journey and hope to learn from the group along the way.

0F397DA7-5957-4B66-906F-8DEC0EABA427.jpeg

E208CEE3-E185-4F25-817C-67941E631DA0.jpeg

Nice truck sir! Very minty. Bonus points for correct bezel orientation.

Congratulations on your new truck….. it’s a great feeling and you are in a great place to find any information you’ll need during the entire process. Including just driving it and having a blast doing it ….Did you know there is a big deer trying to hide in the barrel behind your truck?

Nice 40 great color

Great to have you aboard. I’m partial to 1970 FJ40’s also.

Great truck! It looks like it has all the necessary parts unlike mine. That will save you a bundle of greenbacks.

:cheers:

I'd go find another and restore that. That one looks really decent as is.

Last edited:
I agree with these comments as well…. My mom was an antique collector when I was a kid and I asked her why she didn’t polish some stuff that looked dingy and rough. She explained patina and original value… took a while for a kid to makes sense of that statement but, I get it nowadays.

this truck may benefit from any “ stock “ pieces put back in like maybe the front bumper and other pieces like it without tearing into the main parts for anything besides maintenance

there are quite a few FJ40’s around that really should be torn apart and made into great lookers. my 75 is a cream puff ….I spent over $8,000 on stock parts and pieces that make it scream original looking. I’d added a skid plate and tire carrier, steering wheel and dash pad…. Great feeling for me and was it worth it? hell yea

in the long run, it’s you truck, your choice but have fun. I am having so much fun I had to order a lift !

No vote to address the rust. Humidity feeds rust. The one side pictures shows rust in the rocker. Hollow cavities are great for hiding most the rust. Picture of the back will show the worse place for rust. And get rid of the bumper which bend the frame before it does. Too nice a cruiser to ignore and slow rust away from the inside.

I agree with these comments as well…. My mom was an antique collector when I was a kid and I asked her why she didn’t polish some stuff that looked dingy and rough. She explained patina and original value… took a while for a kid to makes sense of that statement but, I get it nowadays.

This is sound advice if you plan to keep it in a climate controlled environment. But if you plan to actually use it rust should be addressed.

Welcome to Mud! Sweet looking truck. The only thing I’d change is the front bumper. New ones are still available from Toyota. Or find a used one to match your patina.
How‘s the engine, drivetrain and interior?

x2 on the new OEM front bumper @Slapshot mentioned. That would make the originality of the truck stand out even more.
Last time I bought one I was surprised it was available and affordable to boot!

this truck may benefit from any “ stock “ pieces put back in like maybe the front bumper and other pieces like it without tearing into the main parts for anything besides maintenance

there are quite a few FJ40’s around that really should be torn apart and made into great lookers. my 75 is a cream puff ….I spent over $8,000 on stock parts and pieces that make it scream original looking. I’d added a skid plate and tire carrier, steering wheel and dash pad…. Great feeling for me and was it worth it? hell yea

in the long run, it’s you truck, your choice but have fun. I am having so much fun I had to order a lift !
That’s what I plan to do. Want to keep it as stock and original as possible. Want to drive it

Be cautious… if you hit anything moderately hard with the end of that very solid bumper, it’ll bend up your frame badly. Shorter, angled back, weaker… all will protect your frame.

I’ve got parts form at least a couple different trucks that were written off that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom