Introduction - Meet the "Old Girl" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there folks,

New to the forum. Managed to pick myself up a "apparently" 1971 FJ45 with F engine and old 3 speed from a local scrap yard the other day. Now I am faced with the mammoth task of getting her back on the road.. Engine turns over well and just needs a bit of TLC to get it running smooth again, plan is to get it running and driveable then handle the rest as I go along.

Now I have access to a 2007 70 series single cab with a 1HZ in it. The vehicle was an old farm truck that has been retired and will probably need an engine overhaul. What would be the complications of just doing a body swap and putting the 45 cab onto the 70 chassis? Have done a couple of searches but cannot see that this is common swap?

Looking forward to feedback.

Cheers all.
1663591074632.jpeg

1663591074632.jpeg

Welcome mate :flipoff2: and congrats for your find!
Whatever you choose to do, you've got a very solid base to start with: the ol' girl seems to be in a excellent shape for her age and unmolested!
Could you upload some more in and out pics?

Congratulations, very clean and rust free for a Mozambique sourced vehicle. Aside from the frame width and wheelbase issues you will face the coil towers up front are in the way of the fender mounts.

Usually easier to use the 79's 1Hz engine, gearbox/transfer case and steering box and then to retain most of the rest of the original body and drive train, but the factory diff locks from the 79 make it worthwhile to keep them.

Ultimately, it does not look like a typical old African Cruiser so I would rather go for an original rebuild.

Is it a truck from Mozambique?
If so and given her age (1971), her story should go back to the colonial Portuguese time. That's a survivor, wow!...

Last edited:

locklaw said:​

"Ultimately, it does not look like a typical old African Cruiser so I would rather go for an original rebuild."
In all honesty: me too!

Welcome aboard! As long as the other side and back look as solid as what you've shown you're off to one hell of a great project.

Is it a truck from Mozambique?
If so and given her age (1971), her story should go back to the colonial Portuguese time. That's a survivor, wow!...
Hi Greek Cruiserhead,

So busy tracing the story back a the moment and apparent it belonged to an Arab guy who was here during the Portuguese era. He had a trucking company and it was used as his service van.

Welcome! /\And this is why we love cruisers, can't kill em.

Looks like a fun project, would love to know the history of the truck.
Keep us updated.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom